In China, Need Recipe Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x92salmon

Reaction score
I'm an expat living in China and thoroughly scanned the entire country for homebrew supplies with very limited results. I have also been struggling with translations of certain items which is also adding to my headaches. From this forum I can gather that the majority of homebrewing is done in the US where all of these great recipe's ingredients can be bought at your local homebrew stores. I however am not so lucky, and have not been able to find an exact match to any recipe online. I however have managed to source the following ingredients:

40lb Amber Dry malt extract
20lb High Temp Kilned Barley Malt
20lb Caramel malt
6 ounces flavoring hops (german) no AAU numbers
2 ounces bittering hops (local Chinese)
200g  Yeast Saflager s-189

Can anyone help me with a 5 gallon recipe with the above ingredients? Thanks in advance! :mug:

I'm an expat living in China and thoroughly scanned the entire country for homebrew supplies with very limited results. I have also been struggling with translations of certain items which is also adding to my headaches. From this forum I can gather that the majority of homebrewing is done in the US where all of these great recipe's ingredients can be bought at your local homebrew stores. I however am not so lucky, and have not been able to find an exact match to any recipe online. I however have managed to source the following ingredients:

40lb Amber Dry malt extract
20lb High Temp Kilned Barley Malt
20lb Caramel malt
6 ounces flavoring hops (german) no AAU numbers
2 ounces bittering hops (local Chinese)
200g  Yeast Saflager s-189

Can anyone help me with a 5 gallon recipe with the above ingredients? Thanks in advance! :mug:

where are you in china? I'll be shipping a great deal of stuff there in the next week and if you are near beijing we could work out something. I'll be there in person next month.

Thank you so much for the offer, I will repay you in spades when you are out here. I'm also in Beijing, can you send me a way to contact you? My email is courses(at)beijing-classes.com

In the meantime do you think I can brew a batch with the ingredients I have?

Where in beijing are you guys?

Where can you buy ingredient/homebrew equipment out here?

Also i would be down for a home-brew-talk meetup if you guys would. Be nice to talk to other people in this city who know anything about beer.

Absolutely you can brew a batch! The only thing is you have a lager yeast, so you will have to have cooler temperatures. You could make a Marzen-like beer. For five gallons, use 8-10 lbs of your amber extract, steep about 6-8 oz of your crystal and do an oz of your german hops for 60 min, and another at 15 min or so, and maybe steep one more at 5 minutes. Cool down as low as you can reasonably get it and pitch that lager yeast! Experiment with some different combinations of grain and the malt extract you have and keep repitching with the same yeast until you can find some more. Your local chinese hops might be a variety of sorachi, a japanese hop, and they have a neat flavor with kind of a citrusy bite to them, like lemons.

Get brewing! Get creative! Good luck!

(You might find some bottles of ale somewhere with yeast sediment in them still; if you do, you can use the amber extract to create a starter and cultivate that. You'll have more temperature flexibility with that.)

Not so good with recipe's on the fly, that's quite a bit of Extract you have there.

:off: I'll be in Beijing sometime in Sept for a few nights, maybe you'll have a homebrew ready by then? :mug:

Did you check the local China law on brewing beer?

I have lived in many Asian countries and it is important not to run afoul of the laws.

Did you check the local China law on brewing beer?

I have lived in many Asian countries and it is important not to run afoul of the laws.

Here in china laws are very lax about these types of things.

I dont know if there are any actual laws against homebrewing but its not like if the cops busted in (which they shouldnt) they would have any clue what you were doing. You can say its fancy American Soup and they would probably believe you.

...just wondered since you have been having trouble finding brewing supplies, I would think there must be a reason why. If brewing is not legal in communist China that would be a good reason, I suppose.

Good luck - don't end up in the clink!

Hey,

Check out taobao... you can get some stuff. Yesterday I did my fourth whole grain batch. I do ask people to bring back hops from Belgium as there is a better choice. I live in Chengdu.

Cheers,

David

Oktoberfest.taobao.com is a shop in Nanjing. I haven't used them. There is also a Coopers storefront in Taobao. I also bought a nice 36l (36cm) pot from a kitchen supply store on Taobao which works great due to 1cm=1 liter.

I'm pleasantly surprised...I wouldn't have thought there'd be enough critical mass of beer appreciators in China to justify a brew store.

Any of you guys in or around Xi'an? I'm in and out of there about once a year and I sure am tired of Tsingtao... :)

I've been in Changzhou (between Shanghai and Nanjing) for over a year. I traveled to the US 2 weeks every 2 months, since my family hadn't relocated. So I brought extract kits with me and brewed a batch a month. January the whole family relocates. My grain mill, MLT, corny kegs, and additional equipment is already in my shipment of household things. On my last home leave trip, I brought back all the specialty grains, hops, and yeast for 15 pre planned all-grain batches. I'll just need to buy base pale and pilsner malts in China. With the family move, I'll be doing my brewing in Shanghai on weekends, instead of Changzhou. I've introduced many of my co-workers to the many alternatives to Tsingdao. It's been fun.

Good point. You could have alot of people out of that larger number to keep a few LHBS's going. Maybe HB'ing is just catching on in China? Jet Kun Brew anyone? :D

I just signed up for this forum. I am a beginner at home brewing and I recently moved to Hebei, nearly 70km from Beijing.

I am curious where I can find ingredients to brew my own stuff, being that Tsing Tao and Harbin can only get you so far.

Any suggestions?

Contact msherretz on this forum. Mike's his name. He has a homebrew shop in Shanghai, and will likely ship up your way. I'll see him at the Kerry Beerfest in Shanghai today and will also mention you to him.

I just signed up for this forum. I am a beginner at home brewing and I recently moved to Hebei, nearly 70km from Beijing.

I am curious where I can find ingredients to brew my own stuff, being that Tsing Tao and Harbin can only get you so far.

Any suggestions?

Hi guys,

I have started the first real one-stop homebrew store in Shanghai and maybe China. The name is "My Homebrew Store" and it is located in Pudong at the moment. I am a distributor for Briess Malt, LD Carlson supplies and have Weyermann malts also as well as some Canadian Dry Extract in addition to that, I'm a disributor for Winexpert Wine kits.

I have tons of equipment and ingredients in stock including many specialty grains liquid Wyeast and many dry yeasts, starter kits, carboys, hydrometers and all the tubing and kegging stuff + a garage full of clean used bottles for beer and wine.

If you let me know your e-mail, I'll send you my catalogue in Excel. We are working on a web presence now but still being worked on.

My e-mail is [email protected] or the new one that will be active this week is [email protected]

I mostly handle imported ingredients so if you're looking for local stuff, then try [email protected]. He has an operations in Nanjing and I've been working with him for a few months now. He speaks English and can help you. He's also on Taobao. :ban:

Cheers,
+86-158-2111-3870

Hi guys,

I have started the first real one-stop homebrew store in Shanghai and maybe China. The name is "My Homebrew Store" and it is located in Pudong at the moment. I am a distributor for Briess Malt, LD Carlson supplies and have Weyermann malts also as well as some Canadian Dry Extract in addition to that, I'm a disributor for Winexpert Wine kits.

I have tons of equipment and ingredients in stock including many specialty grains liquid Wyeast and many dry yeasts, starter kits, carboys, hydrometers and all the tubing and kegging stuff + a garage full of clean used bottles for beer and wine.

If you let me know your e-mail, I'll send you my catalogue in Excel. We are working on a web presence now but still being worked on.

My e-mail is [email protected] or the new one that will be active this week is [email protected]

I mostly handle imported ingredients so if you're looking for local stuff, then try [email protected]. He has an operations in Nanjing and I've been working with him for a few months now. He speaks English and can help you. He's also on Taobao. :ban:

Cheers,
+86-158-2111-3870

Hello!! do you know the name of one chinese malting co. to import pale malt?? i guess is cheaper

Sorry, we don't use anything imported by some Chinese guys. We have found the online sources can't be trusted.
We only deal with the manufacturers for grains and malts, Weyermann and Briess.
I have almost their entire lines in stock if you want malts and extracts.

Happy Chinese New Year and the Yeare of the snake!

nborofka said:

Any suggestions?

My Homebrew Store in Shanghai is the only fully equipped homebrew store in China. Just contact me for any help or supplies.

Mike

:off:

Wow, good luck to you guys. I lived in Datong, Xi'an for 2 years between 1999-2001. It semed their beer had formaldehyde in it (or at least that was the rumor). I recall some people I stayed with opened a bottle one night, poured a glass, and then set the remainder of the bottle on a mantle. The next night we drank the rest and it didn't seem to lose any carbonation at all. Defies logic to me, but then so does half of China.

I tried to make my own bread there as everything local had some sugar filling in the middle. I searched out the ingredients but had to make compromises and the outcome was fairly horrid.

As much as I had difficulties here and there, the friendliness of the people more than made up for it. If I wasn't tied down sharing a kid with an ex, I'd probably move back for a few more years... especially knowing that it's possible to brew there.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back