Temp Fluctuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
I've got a english premium bitter in the primary and the fermentation took off after about 15-20 hours. After about 3 days fermenting, the krausen fell and by day 4 airlock stopped bubbling. I can still see a few bubbles coming up from the wort so I know the yeast are still working some.
My question is, did the yeast flocc a little too early? I'm using WLP013 and the temp has fluctuated from 64F-68F over these 4 days.
If so, how can I rouse the yeast?
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're ok to me.......after 4 days of good bubbling most of the work should be done. If you are going to transfer to a secondary fermenter, this would be a good time to resuspend some yeast if you are really worried about it. About half way through the siphon or so.....swirl the fermenter a bit and get some yeast back in suspension. They will settle back out. You can also take a gravity reading at the same time and make sure you are close to the target FG.....if not......hopefully the resuspended yeast will finish off the job. Try to keep the temp from dropping if you can.

Hope this helps....Cheers

I figured it would be ok. I don't have a second carboy for a secondary right now so I was planning on leaving it in the primary till about the middle of next week. Would that be fine or should I invest in a secondary now? Thanks again.

That's kinda up to you.....I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I would't worry for the moment.....if it ends up a couple points higher on the FG than planned....well....lesson learned, try and maintain steady temp next time. Although, I would invest in a secondary eventually......they do wonders for clarity.

Cheers

Back