When to Cool down my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjkopp

Reaction score
So I have my beer bottles sitting around 68-72* for a few weeks now and I have good carbonation. My question is this...

Do I have to put them in the frig or can I put them down stairs? The temp down stairs is around 63*. I do have lots of space to put them in the frig. What to do? Thanks

I would cellar them (put them downstairs) until you're ready to drink them. It will definitely show improvements over time.

Cellar for long aging, fridge before drinking (generally 2-3 days before drinking has always worked well in clearing up the beer for me)

I always let them sit for around 6-10weeks before cellering them.If your happy with the taste then cellar them ,but from my short experience its better to keep them room temp for a few months before cellaring, because a beer @8 weeks bottled seems to always be better than 3 weeks.Just because they are carbed is not a reason to put them away, they still condition to goodness.

My sense of it is that it just depends on the beer. A Wit will go right in the fridge after carbing up. My IIPA will cellar for 4 weeks after being carbed up...then go in the fridge for 2 weeks before drinking. The Triples will cellar for 4-10 months then hit the fridge for 2 weeks.

The bigger the beer...the longer I wait. That being said, my wife rarely waits the allotted time and begins sampling frequently when I'm not around.

Cellar/cool store them for long term, but put them in the fridge for 3-4+ days before drinking them. I find mine to be best if I give them at least 3-4 days before pouring a pint (from bottles).

I'm kegging 2.5-3 gallons of each batch now, bottling the balance. I'm looking forward to doing a side-by-side comparison of the same batch from keg and bottle.

Hey thanks for the insite!! this will help me alot!

Thanks kopp hop!!

Latest posts

Back