Cacao nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
I want to put these in my secondary with an imperial stout. I think I will primary for a month, secondary for a month, and towards the end of the secondary I wanted to insert these in for about two weeks, will that be long enough or do it for a month?

What is the best way to use these?

I heard put them directly in secondary but they have a lot of fat so bake them first? If so what temp and how long? Do I need to bag them?

I've heard to soak them in vodka for a couple days and then pour the whole thing in to the secondary

And then I heard do nothing and just insert them into the secondary

Any help would be great thanks

I crushed mine with a hammer to break them up a bit, boiled a hop sock, put the crushed nibs in the sock, and added to the secondary. I then racked on top of the nibs. This was on Tuesday, and all is looking good so far! The alcohol in the beer will usually take care of any minor nasties that may be on the nibs.

Topher79 said:
I crushed mine with a hammer to break them up a bit, boiled a hop sock, put the crushed nibs in the sock, and added to the secondary. I then racked on top of the nibs. This was on Tuesday, and all is looking good so far! The alcohol in the beer will usually take care of any minor nasties that may be on the nibs.

What style of beer and how many ounces?

I brewed a chocolate stout with 6 oz. dark cocoa powder, and I added 1 lb lactose to sweeten it up a little. I added 4 oz. of cocoa nibs to the secondary. If you're doing the imperial stout, I'd double the amount of cocoa nibs to counteract the alcohol flavors. (Mine was only 6%). I plan on keeping it in the secondary for at least a month.

My buddy and I just made a chocolate milk stout from Northern Brewer. 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks on the nibs in secondary, 2 weeks in the bottle. Came out fantastic. The 3 weeks with the cocoa seemed to be perfect.

Sorry, didn't read all of your questions. We didn't bake or break the nibs. Just racked to secondary and poured in the nibs raw.

Back