Availability of Soda Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlinc

Reaction score
I just got into brewing and have done a few batches and realized I don't want to keep buying/reusing bottles all the time. Lucky enough I bought a kegerator in college and it still works like a charm. I only need to purchase some 5 gallon kegs and some tubing to complete the conversion. Here lies the issue for me. I know I can order used soda kegs online however I would like to avoid paying shipping. I went to my local brew store and all they carry in used kegs is pinlock kegs. Not an issue but the price is $50 for one pinlock keg. That seems high for a pinlock. The store manager told me that the availability of soda kegs in my area (Medina/Akron Oh) is drying up. Anyone else running into this issue or may have some suggestions of some other suppliers for kegs? I am open to purchasing online and paying the shipping.

Unfortunately the supply of used soda keg has been shrinking for quite some time (especially ball locks). Many (if not most) have been sold for scrap. I haven't been able to find any local around here. The LHBS has them, but like you....I ain't paying $50+ for a used keg. Over the years I've managed to find some good deals on line. They still pop up, and when they do you need to pounce on them. Because, I guarantee, that if its a good deal, it won't be there the next day. My first couple of kegs were around 15 buxs a piece and that included shipping. You won't see that again for sure. So be patient and keep searching on line. Often the shop linked below has good deals when they get kegs in. But, you have to keep on checking. Cheers and good luck! :mug:

http://www.bvrgelements.com/category/Keg/

^ Nice website thanks! And sadly kegs are getting less common I have had to buy all used ones online because you cannot find them anywhere around here. The nice thing is that new ones are being produced so we wont ever run out of kegs per se.

You cannot beat the prices from the guys at kegconnection.com They sell brand new kegs since the used ones are hard to find and will never run out of stock. Someone there said they ship to a few other homebrew supply stores for them to resell. Their new kegs are awesome. They are made in Italy not China too.

Get a couple now to serve your immediate needs, then be on Craigslist like a fly on poo until a deal pops up. It took me a few months, but I wound up scoring something like eight kegs and a half dozen carboys for just over a hundred dollar bill. Guy got a job offer across the country and his wife's crap filled the company-paid truck up. No room left for brewing gear, so I was the benefactor.

The deals come up, you just have to be the first to jump on them when they do.

My lhbs sells ball lock kegs for $60 a piece. They're dirty and need o-rings and maybe poppets.

I went to kegconnection.com and ended up buying a pair. $75 each including shipping, o-rings, and poppets. I looked pretty hard and that was the best deal I could find.

Try McEver at (407) 786-7029
image-2985240247.jpg

Only when touring Usinger's, Sprecker, and Lakefront.

Now back to kegs McEver Beverage Distributors they have at least 3000 kegs sitting went and picked up 78 as a group buy got to pick and choose, they also have good prices on QD's as well.

Back