Yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIC0

Reaction score
I've been doing some research and using the search option with HBT and I still can't get the jist of a yeast starter and how to get the understanding, how to do it from start to finish.

Link me to a place that explains this to dummies as I believe it's a good thing regardless of beer and would like to start using this process for all beers brewed moving forward.

I'm no expert but it depends on what you are brewing. If doing normal grav 5 gal batches, generally you can just use a rehydrated dry packet. Or a liquid smack pack. Dry yeast never needs a starter, all the nutrients etc are built into the yeast already. For lagers, a starter is def recommended to avoid underpitching, or the use of multiple smack packs, but that is pricey.

For a starter, you just take a small quantity of DME, or any similar product, boiling for 15 mins to sterilize. Cool to room temp, add yeast, shake, and let go. 1 day or two later, boom, starter. I use a stir plate I made to add air during process which helps increase yield of growth. The process can be altered in many ways but that is the gist.

For the last lager I did, came out great. I made a starter like above, let cool in refrig for 1 day, poured off top "beer" and made another starter using that batch to make a bigger one. Repeated that in the fridge again, and made one last for about a 5x original amount of yeast. That's called making a stepped starter.

It's all very easy, sanitation is important.

Guys thanks for the feedback it's greatly appreciated.

I'm slowly getting back into brewing, first 3 batches have been fine and I don't think they needed a starter as things were moving along within 12 hours of coming off the flame.

I recently did an imperial stout that without a Friggon DOUBT needed a starter but I didn't know that until after the fact. I don't wanna do that again so I'm trying to get my crap together before my next high gravity brew.

Back