Washed my cellphone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Ordinarily I don't leave things in my pockets, but last night I was exhausted. The prior night, my wife's toy poodles were whining, barking, bumping the bed, and being royal pains. Bad enough to keep my wife awake and that isn't easy. Plus, I had to drive to the country place and back with a sore shoulder.

The upshot was I left my Nokia in a pants pocket and tossed it in the washer without checking. I doubt it will recover, but I'm drying it out anyway.

Kellie has been talking about getting new phones, as her Blackberry doesn't hold a charge for more than a day any more. I suspect we will be looking at some tomorrow. I wonder what the odds are that the SIMM is intact?

my phones have been washed, gone swimming with me, and most recently dropped into a glass of juice. all have recovered by a thorough drying and then reassembly. good luck!

I just lost my new EVO 4g LTE because my one year old daughter decided to jump in the swimming pool and she can't swim. I had to go in after her. a great way to end my vacation. I drove home eight hours wearing wet shorts.

Now I am using an older evo, I miss my phone.... Stupid baby:)

Old school Nokia?

It probably helped your clothes get cleaner.

second the bag of rice trick. Saved a blackberry that had ingested ocean water once. Take battery out, place all in rice bag, sealed, overnight.

Of course, it sounds like you want a new phone anyway...but just sayin.

I dropped my BB Bold in the dishwasher while using it as a flashlight. Full submersion in hot water and vinegar. I took off the cover, took out the battery and sim card and let it all dry on the kitchen table. Two days later and at first it was pretty jacked up. After a few more days, the only thing wrong was a sticky "I" key.

I took my Motorola Backflip SCUBA diving with me a couple years ago. I had it in one of those waterproof cases that's supposed to be good up to 35 ft. Yeah, that didn't happen. The damn thing was completely full of saltwater when I came up. There was no saving that phone. Which I guess was a good thing, cause that phone sucked.

The saltwater will ruin it for sure.

Otherwise, yank the battery as quick as you can and let it sit in a jar of rice for a while. I've heard of people getting back some stuff that was completely useless before they did that.

Well, over-nighted it in rice. The displays have cleared up, but it won't boot. I'll check it again this afternoon. If it doesn't work, it's off to the store. I really don't want a new phone, but ATT doesn't offer the model any more. As far as I can tell from their website, they only have two flip phones available: the LG A340 and the Pantech Breeze III. I think my wife would prefer to give me her crackberry and get a new phone for herself, but it's too big, the keys are way too small, and I'm not a fan of exposed keyboards, she butt-dials me about once a week.

You could try a "Thirsty Bag", "Bheestie Bag", IRecovery or a similar electronics-dryer product to dry out the phone. Just put it in the bag for the suggested period of time.

Though I think a lot of these products use Silica Gel or Cobalt Chloride, you might also be able to use Calcium Chloride (the stuff that is sold as ice melt for driveways) as long as it has not began to clump and absorb water already.

Just a note - it needs to be fully uncooked rice, not 10 minute or instant rice.

Well, the rice trick didn't work. So, I have a new phone, my wife has a new phone and her son has a new phone. And we have "unlimited" texting. AT&T had exactly two flip phones to choose from and the LG 340 has menus full of AT&T functions that can't be erased, so I got a Pantech Breeze III (0.99). Kellie got a fondle slab (Lumia 9000 - 0.99). They threw in a pile of accessories, so now we have chargers for both cars, both houses, and one for her purse. Got her unlimited talk time grandfathered. We stuck with AT&T because it has very good reception out in the boonies and the country place doesn't have Internet.

Latest posts

Back