Is my starter OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghausdev

Reaction score
Following instructions similar to these, I made my first starter (for my first beer) about 20 hours ago. I boiled water with about 4 tablespoons of Liquid Malt Extract, for about 15 minutes, then cooled it, and put it in a sanitized magnum wine bottle.

I checked the OG on this wort, and it was 1.030 - I had read that 1.040 was better for starter

Once cool, I added Wyeast London, shook hard, and added a sanitized airlock.

I was able to see bubbles coming up through the airlock within the first few hours, but the pace hasn't picked up. I certainly don't see a frothy head, and I was planning on using it in my first batch today.

Does the fact that I can't see a frothy head suggest that I shouldn't pitch it into wort today?

43352109_ef0ac18cf9_o.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Sean

It looks good to me. I'd go ahead and pitch it today.

Next time you do a starter, swirl the bottle every time you get a chance, try and keep those yeasties suspended as much as you can and you'll bet more propigation.

Just swirl it up before pitching to make sure you get all those yeast off the bottom and go for it. It'll kick off just fine. Make sure you get plenty of oxygen into your wort when you pitch.

Don't worry about the foam on top. If you get a nice bit of yeast settling to the bottom, it's doing what it needs to do.

Back