Cold Temps but not to cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yokomo

Reaction score
I am starting with a Coopers kit. Lager is the first make in the kit. My water and room temp

is 62 F. Will my stock yeast work or should I get a new kind. I have herd the kit uses a Ale

yeast. I would like to use room temp if possible. Please advise.

Paul

All I know is it is the stock yeast that comes with the kit. I have been told all most all

Coopers kits come with a Ale yeast.

Paul

If you're just starting out, you shouldn't be doing a lager. If it says lager, chances are it doesn't come with ale yeast. You need to either get a different yeast (which will change the final beer) or find a way to keep your beer at 50F for a few weeks. After fermenting at 50, you will have to lager it at 30-35F for another few months in order to do things properly.

I suggest picking up a kolsch yeast. It should be fine at 62F.

Coopers kits come with yeast that handles a wide range of temps. I would use what they gave you and don't over think the process on your first beer. You won't have a real lager from the kit but that is what they have intended as a new brewer would have trouble doing a real lager.

Back