Software for drawing circuits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmer0817

Reaction score
I truly am trying to do as much research as possible before asking you guys for your time in helping me build an E-BIAB control panel. I've been studying several of the circuit diagrams that have been posted, and I'm understanding things much better now.

I would like to know what software program you are using to create these beautiful circuit diagrams.

Thanks,
Keith

I'm in the same position : want to draw things out before I build it. I tried the SmartDraw trial, but I didn't like it (couldn't change connection points, seemed difficult to define custom widgets, not free after 7 days). XCircuit looked like too much trouble to install. I have Visio, but not installed and I'm too lazy to find the CD. I ended up going with Dia (Dia draws your structured diagrams: Free Windows, Mac OS X and Linux version of the popular open source program), which is basically a Visio clone. You can't define connection points in Dia, either, but I worked around that by using single-pixel lines. My diagram turned out ok, and it's certainly easier to manage in Dia than Paint.

I used paint... it sucks but gets the job done... I couldnt find any that were not really expensive or complicated

I used Adobe Illustrator for mine. It is both really expensive and complicated, but I use it for work so it was readily available.

Try Sketchup. Can't beat the price. There's even an Electrical Components plug-in. I haven't used the plugin but I can vouch that Sketchup is awesome.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was starting to feel a little down. I had posted a question or two a couple days ago and hadn't heard a response. I tho't that I had checked a box to be notified by e-mail if I rec'd a response, but I haven't received one. I happened to check the thread on which I had posted the question, and there was a very good response from the OP.

There haven't been many patients in the clinic today, so I've had some time to surf some more thru the "Electric Brewing" section. I found a couple setups that are almost exactly what I will need.

Thanks again. I may end up scanning something I draw and posting for any questions.

Keith

I use Smart Draw. I have it for doing some other projects and it works pretty good for schematics. Easy to learn, takes time to master. I was surprised though that I was drawing schematics within minutes.

I truly am trying to do as much research as possible before asking you guys for your time in helping me build an E-BIAB control panel. I've been studying several of the circuit diagrams that have been posted, and I'm understanding things much better now.

I would like to know what software program you are using to create these beautiful circuit diagrams.

Thanks,
Keith
Keith,
Tell me what you want to accomplish with your system and the power/components that you will be using. I'd be more than willing to draw a diagram for you.

BIAB? I probably already have one that might fit your needs.

P-J

P-J,

Thanks for the offer. You must love doing these drawings. I've communicated with thughes regarding his E-BIAB build. He said that you were a great deal of help to him. I've greatly enjoyed studying your schematics and have learned a lot from them. My other hobby involves pipe organs. Mine has about 800 pipes with each one having a magnet valve running on 12VDC. I've had to learn a little more about electricity since my college physics days.

From the threads I read today, it appears that your schematic for Voltin dated a few weeks ago is the closest to what I will need. I would like to post two new threads - one with question about my design concept and another simply asking for some help with terminology - before I put you to the trouble.

Thanks,
Keith

P-J,
I would like to post two new threads - one with question about my design concept and another simply asking for some help with terminology - before I put you to the trouble.
Keith,

Hey, just post the questions here in this thread. No? Or at least give us (me) a link to the threads so we can stay tuned in to your concepts and progress.

Thanks....

P-J

Keith,

Hey, just post the questions here in this thread. No? Or at least give us (me) a link to the threads so we can stay tuned in to your concepts and progress.

Thanks....
P-J

P-J,

Thank you for the offer. Here are the links to two threads. I don't like having several unrelated topics in the same thread as it makes it difficult to search them.

1. In the following thread I revisited the possibility of having a choice between PID and PWM control if it happens to be a hassle to change the PID to manual control at boil time:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pid-pwm-same-controller-revisited-286134/

2. The following thread is where I try to describe what I'm wanting to do that seems to incorporate elements from 2 other BIABers on HBT.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/planning-my-e-biab-control-286136/

Maybe I'm over-thinking all this, but this is electricity. I'm not a big beer drinker, and I certainly don't want to kill myself or burn the house down.

Thanks,
Keith

+1 for TinyCAD. Looks pretty:

Autoconnects, junctions, color codes wires, has a nice built in library of symbols/etc. You can move components around and the wires follow.

Keith,
Tell me what you want to accomplish with your system and the power/components that you will be using. I'd be more than willing to draw a diagram for you.

BIAB? I probably already have one that might fit your needs.

P-J

P-J et al,

Thanks, again. I looked thru a number of your [P-J's] diagrams and found a few that were probably "there". I guess I wanted to show that I've been thinking thru this instead of asking someone else to do all the work for me. I blended 2 schematics to come up with my own - spent several hours using Microsoft Word with lines and boxes to come up with something. I saved it as a pdf document, but it's over the limit at 152kb. I was thinking that I could scan it, but I don't know how to get the file size down.

It's not elegant, but I'm kinda proud of my drawing - after having put forth the effort.

Any ideas on how I can get this drawing to you for critique?

Thanks,
Keith

Thanks, P-J, I e-mailed you the schematic.

Shortyjacobs and Blane,

I downloaded TinyCAD this morning. I've looked thru the library of symbols. I'm reading thru the manual right now.

Shortyjacobs, did you create some of your own symbols? I cannot find the PID or the junction block that you used in your schematic. Are there additional libraries online that can be downloaded into TinyCAD. I noted that some of the software suggested came with libraries of certain parts according to their actual name-branded product numbers.

I managed to post my schematic as a "thumbnail" to my response on my "build" thread. It's also in my gallery. I tried to "insert" the image into my posting by entering the URL of the picture in my gallery into the little pop-up window, and it wouldn't show.

Thanks,
Keith

I use pencil and paper!!!!

Ha! That's pretty much what I did. I used Microsoft Word to make myself some fine graph paper in light blue. Then I took a pencil and drew boxes and lines for my schematic. Then I duplicated that onto the computer using the "lines" and "shapes" in WORD. That was very tedious.

I appreciate the wonderful-looking schematics people have been showing.

Regards,
Keith

Go to Express PCB and download their free schematic and printed circuit board designer software. The schematic software is nicely featured CAD program from drawing schematics.

I've been using Turbo-Cad but I dont suggest it.

Back