keg lid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srehal

Reaction score
question,

I just want to get the keg lid of my cornelius ball and lock keg to clean my keg after my first homebrew.

I have disconnected the lines and released the gas from the release valve until no more gas releases and undid the lever but cannot get the lid off after twisting....

PLEASE HELP

Lets start with the basics. No insult is intended.

First, it pushes down into the keg. Pull up to release the handle then use your fist to tap it down while holding the handle with three other hand.

The rubber o-ring usually gets sticky. You have to punch it hard the first time. there's nothing you can break.

When you are ready to try again,
open bail,
re-release the pressure relief valve,
bop the lid with the heel of your hand,
that should break the sticktion of the lid o-ring to the keg.

Edit: late to the game

Not sure what you're twisting but sometimes the lids/seals are just very sticky. As long as all pressure is out of the keg, give the lid a good thump with the palm of your hand or push down very hard. That should break the seal.

Once the lid is loose, you need to lower it into the keg until it is standing almost upright. Then twist and pull it up through the hole.

All it needed was a good thump to get it loose. Must have been stuck around the ring.

Thanks for your replies.

Now to clean the keg!

If you didn't do it already be sure to change o-rings.

Rather than hit it with my fist, what I do is hold the metal bale perpendicular to the ground (i.e., straight up) and lean on it a slight bit. This will break the sticky-seal at the o-ring without risking bodily harm.

Not sure if it is just me, but they seem to stick less if you use keg lube.

Back