American IPA recipe I need help with!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I found this recipe in a book I picked up and was wondering some things that were not listed. Here it is:

6.6 pounds northwestern extract
1 pound nothwetern light DME

1.5 pounds 40-L Crystal malt
1 pound biscuit malt

Hops- 1.5 oz northern brewers(60 min.)8-10%AA
1 oz cascades (10 min.)5.5-7%AA
Dry Hop 1 oz amarillo 8-11%AA

Wyeast #1056
primary 1 week at 65 degrees
secondary 2 weeks at 65 degrees
OG/FG 1.056-1.075 1.010-1.018
ABV: 5.5-7.5
IBU: 40-60+
SRM: 6-15
My questions are, Does this look like a partial boil or a full?
Could I take the Amarillo and just add that to the boil, lets say 5 min.?
What will dry hopping do?

If there is anything you would do to this to make it better, what would that be?

Without water volumes it's hard to be certain if it's a partial or full boil, but since it's a partial mash I would guess that it's a partial boil that you will need to top off with water to reach 5 gallons in primary.

You certainly can use the Amarillo at 5 minutes if you want. Adding it at 5 minutes will contribute minimally to bittereness and give some aroma.

Dry hopping is for a strong hop aroma. You dry hop when your beer is in secondary (or in primary after fermentation is complete).

Thats my confusion, It did not give water volumes. It looks like partial boil recipes I have done.

You think those grains need to be mashed? or steeped? Thats a good question also.

Thanks

Other Ideas??

Given the amount of extract in the recipe, I'd guess that the grains are for steeping.

I'd agree that those are steeping grains to lend color and some minimal flavors.

Two questions for the OP:
1. Does the recipe list the suggested IBU (bitterness) of the finished recipe?
2. What book did you pull the recipe from?

I'd agree that those are steeping grains to lend color and some minimal flavors.

Two questions for the OP:
1. Does the recipe list the suggested IBU (bitterness) of the finished recipe?
2. What book did you pull the recipe from?

It was listed as 40-60+ in the book.

You can laugh if you want to, the book was Homebrewing for dummies.2nd edition. It was on the clearance rack in front of the local Bordeds book store. Has alot of recipes, There was also a AG conversion listed for this recipe but I am not there yet.

Thanks, Will this recipe have alot of hop bittering. I am looking to branch out a liittle.

1.5 is a lot of crystal. they should also give you a more definitive OG. i would look around on the recipe database here for a more precise recipe.

The numbers in the recipe look to be more style guidelines rather than expectations from the recipe.

I would say this recipe is an extract + steeping grains recipe. You could do either full-boil or partial but most likely it was intended for partial boil.

Dry hopping is a great way to increase the aroma of the hops in the beer. It gives it a fresher aroma and enhances the hops. Adding the hops at flame out is an alternative that will produce different results but also contributes to hop aroma.

If I were to tweak this recipe I would cut the crystal to between 0.5 and 1 pound. Also adding some additional amarillo or cascades at 10, 5 and/or flameout would help the hop character. But then again I can't seem to get too much hops in my IPAs.

Craig

This looks real similar to one I just brewed. I looked at a lot of IPA's then tried to scale it back to a lower ABV american. Had some help here on the boards. Its in secondary dry hop now, tasted great when I dry hopped it. Obviously don't know how it will turn out but have good hopes. Its a partial mash.

012 American IPA 60 min
14-B American IPA
Author: Pickles
Date: 12/7/08

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 61.28%
Attenuation: 71.8%
Calories: 192.29 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 12.1 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 5.41% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 63.7 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
1 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lb Victory® Malt
.5 lb Biscuit Malt (Mout Roost 50)
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
5.5 lb CBW® Golden Light Powder (Dry Malt Extract)
1 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

More hops:D

I made an IPA with 5.2oz total of Chinook/Willamette during the boil and 2oz Amarillo dry hopped.

It was listed as 40-60+ in the book.

You can laugh if you want to, the book was Homebrewing for dummies.2nd edition. It was on the clearance rack in front of the local Bordeds book store. Has alot of recipes, There was also a AG conversion listed for this recipe but I am not there yet.

Thanks, Will this recipe have alot of hop bittering. I am looking to branch out a liittle.

I got HB for Dummies as a gift and used it for my first batch with my Mr. Beer also as a gift. It's okay and fine to start with, but very limited. Haven't used any of the recipes though.

Latest posts

Back