...one of those, a couple of these...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I will be starting to make my own beer VERY soon. So I an calling on you to help point me in the right direction. I used to drink Rolling Rock, but anymore it tastes like lite beer. I do not like the bitter beers either. What are some good beers I can get from the store to sample?

Thank you in advance.

You should post where you live. Some of the best beers in America are only available in their own regions (unfortunately for us that don't live there).

Looks like that's closer to Chicago than to Indianapolis.

If you plan on bottling, make sure those new brews you try are not in twist tops.

You should be able to find Bell's (Kalamazoo MI), Three Floyds (Hammond IN) or Goose Island (Chicago) pretty easily. Some of their more approachable beers:

Bell's: Oberon, Amber Ale, Best Brown, Pale Ale, Third Coast Ale
Three Floyds: Calumet Queen, Gumballhead, Pride and Joy
Goose Island: 312 Wheat, Summertime, Kilgubbin Red, Honkers Ale, Hexnut Brown Ale

Try a hefeweisen. Most people like those, even bud light drinkers.

Also, experiment a little. Some good beers that are still pretty mild are Pete's Wicked Ale and Shiner Bock. Very good beers IMO. But really, this isnt something you need advice on. Go to the liquor store, pick out a beer. You will either like it and have discovered a palate that you didnt know you had, or you hate it and you are out $7.

Other people have covered some beers that are local to you pretty well, so I thought I'd mention a few that I'm into lately that aren't local to you but which you might find. Also these are found in 22oz bottles which will come in handy when you're ready to make your own. Be warned, some of these are a radical departure from the glass lined tanks of old Latrobe (now made somewhere in NJ, IIRC).

Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA. Currently my favorite beer.

Weyerbacher's Heresy (Imperial Stout aged in oak).

Bear Republic's XP Ale (it's bottle conditioned, so pour carefully, like you will with homebrew!)

Anything by Dogfish Head. Not in 22oz bottles, but you can reuse their 750ml bottles too!

I went to High School in Mishawaka, IN.. go Kingsmen! heh :off: :D

You've got one of the best breweries in the world (not just my opinion) not too far from you in Munster, IN, Three Floyd's http://www.threefloyds.com/ I would be surprised if you can't find some in South Bend somewhere.

Also, check out Bell's and Goose Island. I don't get any of them down here but luckily I have some sympathetic in-laws in Crown Point who bring me some every so often.

TRY EVERYTHING. At least once, if it's palatable, twice... then decide what you think of it. Remember to research styles of beer if you like what you've tried. It'll give you the ability to hunt for others down the road you might like from different breweries.

I'm from Lafayette, IN. There's definitely some good beers available in that area.

kvh

find a liquor store that sells single bottles or 'make your own 6 pack'

try a Wit, a blonde ale, a cream ale, brown ale, red ale, heffweizen, various wheat beers as well, plus your bocks and stouts.

figure out what styles you like, then you can narrow it down to specific brews you want to clone.

Anything from Upland Brewing Company: it's the local Bloomington, IN beer. I'm not sure if it makes the trip as far north as Misawaka, but if you're in luck it's a tremendous brewery.

They have a fabulous gold metal wheat and their IPA is to die for, but grab their regular Pale if you like it a bit less hoppy. If you can get your hands on a case of Weizen (Their current seasonal), it's one of my all time favorites for it's wonderful aroma and depth of flavor.

malkore said:
find a liquor store that sells single bottles or 'make your own 6 pack'

try a Wit, a blonde ale, a cream ale, brown ale, red ale, heffweizen, various wheat beers as well, plus your bocks and stouts.

figure out what styles you like, then you can narrow it down to specific brews you want to clone.

Yup, that's what I do. My LHBS has just about any beer you can find and sell all of them by the bottle. Works great.
But if you are going to brew your own, only buy beer with the pressed on caps (no twist tops) that way you can clean and re-use them. The bottle dep. is a lot cheaper the buying new bottles.

Stone is available in Indy too isn't it? Yep, it is. You don't like bitter beers, what about hoppy beers? Try Stone IPA or the smoked porter.

Back