how would this turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
10 lb 2row
1 lb flaked oats
8 oz carapils
6 oz black patent
8 oz hersheys cocoa ( added at the end of the boil...ten minutes or so)

2 oz fuggles@60
.5oz fuggles@15
.5oz fuggles @1

wlp004 irish ale yeast

trying to come up with something to do with this yeast starter...usually make a guinness clone but am out of flaked barley ( have about a pound and a half).. I thought about tossing a pound of the barley but.....

yeah I have some of everythimng I think 10all the way to 120. I thought about that rather than the patent...keep it smoother....

how about this

10 lb 2row
1 lb flaked oats
8 oz carapils
8oz crystal 120

2 oz fuggles@60
.5oz fuggles@15
.5oz fuggles @1

wlp004 irish ale yeast

secondary on two vanilla beans

Drop the patent down to 2oz. Add 4oz of your three darkest crystals. Ex. 120, 80, 60. Single 60 minute hop addition for 30-40 IBUs. Spice with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice at flameout or in secondary. You could also add a bit of clove if you like it.

OHIOSTEVE said:
how about this

10 lb 2row
1 lb flaked oats
8 oz carapils
8oz crystal 120

2 oz fuggles@60
.5oz fuggles@15
.5oz fuggles @1

wlp004 irish ale yeast

secondary on two vanilla beans

This would work too.

I think I may go with the second one I posted but follow your advice on the hops.. single addition at 60 to hit about 30 IBU.....want it to be BLACK but beer calculus is saying only about 12 SRM......I don't want to add in the black patent as it adds a bitterness I am trying to steer clear of on this one.

OHIOSTEVE said:
I think I may go with the second one I posted but follow your advice on the hops.. single addition at 60 to hit about 30 IBU.....want it to be BLACK but beer calculus is saying only about 12 SRM......I don't want to add in the black patent as it adds a bitterness I am trying to steer clear of on this one.

Have any roasted barley or chocolate malt?

I have roasted barley ( english) and roasted black barley....also some flaked barley.. unfortunately no chocolate ( thats whay I wanna use the cocoa)

yep punched it in and hit what I was looking for.. will brew this tomorrow...hell might go do it now.

I wonder how washing the yeast after adding cocoa will work out.....thats the main reason I wanna use this stuff..it was getting old and I wanted to use it and "rejuvinate" it....oh well I think it will be pretty good.

brewed it last night...only had 14 oz of oats though...and 7.5 oz of chocolate....it was very very chocolatey in the hydro sample..... I mashed at 158 hoping to retain some residual sweetness...I think that and the addition of the vanilla will bring it right in line with what I was after.

ok getting ready to move this to secondary and add some vanilla extract ( real not imitation) and some lactose.... the chocolate is good but a bit bitter. i want to sweeten it a little so any advice on how much of each to start with?

Back