Iodophor ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
When using Iodophor do you have to full the bottles to the top or is 1" or 2 in the bottom enough to sanitize the bottle???
Thanks
Daza

What I go is get a big bucket and fill it with 5 gallons of water mixed with Iodophor. Then submerge the bottles for 2-5 mins and then remove and let access water drain off of them. Works good for me never had a problem yet.

I always rinse my bottles out after pouring so I never have to "clean" them afterward.

When I get ready to bottle I just use the bottle washer - the red one with the pump and reservoir - give it 5-6 pumps, remove the bottle from the shaft and place the neck into the solution for a second or two, remove, re-pump more solution into the bottles to remove any bubbles, then place them on the drying rack. Nothing more, nothing less.

Using iodophor says 2 mins contact. Even with the bottles draining they are "in contact" with the solution for at least 2 mins. Sometimes even after an hour on the rack there is still some solution in your bottles?

I have a reservoir for the beer to be bottled. I start by putting Iodophor sanitizer in it to santize the reservoir. Then I use the bottling cane to fill 12 bottles. This takes about 3 or 4 minutes. Then I use a funnel to pour the iodophor from those 12 into another 12 bottles, which takes several more minutes. I turn the empty bottles upside down on my clean kitchen counter to drain. If the very top of the neck of the bottle wasn't immersed in Iodophor before, it is during draining. I repeat 4 times (for bottling 5 gallons). The santitized bottles go into a carton, covered to prevent dust from settling in. After the bottles are sanitized, I drain Iodophor from the bottling reservoir and cane, and sanitize my siphon starter and bottle caps. I add priming sugar (4 oz per 5 gallons) that has been boiled 10 minutes in 2 cups water to the reservoir. followed by the uncarbonated beer from the secondary. I then fill the bottles and cap them. No rinsing, just draining.

I have never had a bottle that has gone bad.

Latest posts

Back