Dollar store oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1KD1

Reaction score
My wife brought this home to me after I told her I was running out of PBW. Is this the same stuff that some of you use for a generic oxy-clean chlorine free?

image-1239351313.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the scented kind. I will have to check when I get home and see if this one is scented or not.

It is much cheaper than what my LHBS charges for PBW - and it comes in a plastic container. My LHBS buys in bulk then sells in ziplock bags so it is pretty cheesy.

For that much of a savings, I'll use a little more elbow grease. It would have to fail miserably for me to justify spending the big bucks.

this is exactly what i use. no complaints as of yet...
it breaks up dried on krausen in my brewbuckets like a hot knife thru butter

How much of this per gallon are you guys using? Maybe I'm not using enough. Are you mixing this with TSP substitute?

I use the 70/30 mix I found on here of that and TSP/90 and it works just like PBW. I have a 5 gallon bucket premixed, while I don't recall the cost it was ultimately a lot cheaper than PBW. Just my 2 cents

Nagorg said:
I wish I could find TSP/90. All the TSP substitute I find is liquid.
Any lowes or home depot will have it in the paint section. Theyll likely have real TSP unless youre in Cali.

I actually had the hardest time finding TSP/90 that isn't liquid locally, though I did find a Home Depot about 30 minutes away that has it (in comparison, I live in the city and my other Home Depot is less than 5 minutes away, really wish they would carry it!). However, what I did for my first bucket was ordered from here: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU=10274

It's a bit more expensive than if you can find it locally, so probably worth hunting around if you can, but still cheaper than PBW in the end.

This is the first time I am reading about TSP/90. Anyone have a Minute to enlighten me on the subject? (is it necessary to use this with oxycleaners? Or does it just increase cleaning power? Would you use this as a keg system cleaner as well?)

Might need to do some searching, but there's a thread around somewhere for homemade PBW. It's 70% Oxiclean (or sun oxygen cleaner, any oxygen based cleaner, but MUST be unscented or it will leave a residue) and 30% TSP/90 mixed together. You use it the same way you do PBW, and it definitely works better than just straight oxyclean. I use it all over the house, even on cleaning tough messes on pots and pans in the kitchen, etc. Any time something seems to be stuck with organic matter, just a touch of it soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and you're golden. Since it's so cheap and I have a 5 gallon bucket of it, its hard to not use it everywhere. Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Here's one post mentioning it - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/home-made-pbw-safe-glass-safe-general-182939/

How much of this per gallon are you guys using? Maybe I'm not using enough. Are you mixing this with TSP substitute?
i'm curious what everyone uses. i put in maybe half a scoop per gallon (+/- 2 tablespoons??)

Any lowes or home depot will have it in the paint section. Theyll likely have real TSP unless youre in Cali.

I have read that you shouldnt use real TSP, its hazardous... Supposedly only the TSP/90 (TSP substitute) is safe to use...

If someone knows otherwise, please let me know. Cause I bought a box of real TSP before I found out I shouldnt use it!!!
:confused:

Back