"Splitting" a yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troub

Reaction score
I have Northern Brewer's Patersbier finishing up in a bucket and it'll be going into bottles soon. My plan had been to brew up a Tripel, which uses the same yeast, and while it's cooling siphon the Patersbier over to a bottling bucket and dump the cooled Tripel onto the yeast cake. My understanding is that this should be fine.

The issue is that I decided to get more stuff and make the Patersbier again as well. My idea now is to proceed the same way, but before dumping the Tripel onto the yeast, take a sanitized spoon and put a couple of spoonfuls into a starter wort to pitch into the Patersbier that I would brew a few days later. Is there any problem with this?

And to stretch a little bit (meaning this is the part where you might say "now that's not going to work"): I don't know what the cell count would be in the yeast cake. Are there enough cells in there compared to a smack pack or even a small starter that if I wanted to brew that second Patersbier at the same time as the Tripel and instead of scooping out a spoonful into a starter, take out a few spoonfuls and pitch directly into the Patersbier wort (OG is about 1.045 on this one, IIRC), would that work? My logic here is that a few big tablespoonfuls seems like it would already have a lot more cells than just the straight smack-pack which seems to have a fairly small actual volume when you pour it out, and that even after removing that there's still a LOT left to work on the Tripel. Of course I'm fairly new to all this, I don't know, and I could be wrong, so I'm asking before I risk trashing a couple of good beers.

EDIT: the yeast in question is Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Thanks! So according to google 1 tbsp = approx 15 ml, and MrMalty says 77 ml for my Patersbier, so I'd need just over 5 tbsp or so. And about 10 tbsp for the Tripel. Hmmm. And 15 tbsp is .9 cups (I'm basically trying to convert ml here to things I can visualize). It seems like it might not be so out of the question to split it after all...? Trying to think of the volumes of some of my previous yeast cakes, it seems like a cup or so of slurry isn't a far-fetched amount to have.

Back