Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darknova306

Reaction score
Looking to brew an Irish Stout tonight. Got some Wyeast 1084 going in a starter. Trying to finalize my recipe, here's what I got so for:

5 gallon batch

6# Maris Otter
1# Flaked Barley
3/4# Roasted Barley
1/4# Chocolate Malt

1oz First Gold (9.5%AA, 60 min)
0.5oz Fuggles (4.5%AA, 15 min)
0.5oz Fuggles (0 min)

Mash around 150.

I did a similar recipe recently. The only thing I would recommend is cutting the roasted barley back to 1/2#. But it depends how much roastiness YOU like. My dry stout is definately drinkable and tasty but has a little too much roastiness. Cheers!

I did a similar recipe recently. The only thing I would recommend is cutting the roasted barley back to 1/2#. But it depends how much roastiness YOU like. My dry stout is definately drinkable and tasty but has a little too much roastiness. Cheers!

I disagree, 1 lb. of RB is fine. A stout IS the RB. I've used up to 1.25lbs with great results. I am on the verge of going to 1.5lbs next batch.

I should specify that I was going for something more along the lines of guinness (not a clone though). I used 10% roast as darknova has along with some chocolate. I agree the stout IS the roast. It just depends on how much you prefer.

Interesting discussion.
All the stouts I've made so far have been imperial chocolate stouts where I used a ton of roasted grains. I always seem to enjoy them immensely, which is why I'm not shy about trying this recipe with a healthy amount of roasted barley. Should be an interesting experiment.

Latest posts

Back