Hop Harvest Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildHopHunter

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am in the middle of a hop harvest dilemma. My hop trellis is a maypole where I have 4 different hop varieties growing into one another. On this trellis are 2nd year Centennials, EKG and Magnums and a 1st year wild hop transplant. I am having trouble figuring out which hop cones are coming from which vine.

I have harvested the Magnums (poor yield) and had a 1st harvest of the Centennials with another harvest about a week out. The wild hops are doing very well but need another couple of weeks. The EKG have not produced but a few random cones on the vine, I don't expect much in the coming weeks.

At this time to make it easier to differentiate between the hop varieties I would like to cut away the Magnum and EKG vines. Will cutting the vines stunt the development of the roots (I will continue to water around the hop crown)?

Thanks

Hop Jam.jpg

Trimming the main bine will only make side shoots grow, it shouldn't do anything to hurt the root system.Did you find the wild hops in Middlesex county?I'ts something I'm interested in trying also.

Commercial hop growers cut the bines at the bottom every year, your rhizomes will be fine for next year.

Thanks for the info, I live south of the city as well (Middleboro).Lexington/Concord is kind of a hike, maybe I'll just search the train tracks nearby.I'll let you know if I come across any.

Back