Possible to create a grain bed in Biab Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODI3

Reaction score
One of the benefits of 3v systems is the ultra clear wort coming from draining grain through the grainbed.

Would it be possible implement a grainbed in biab in some way?

Either doing full volume mash, then recirculating the wort through the grainbed to clear it and temporary store the wort in a seperate bucket before pulling bag out so the wort can be returned to the main vessel to boil.

Or

Doing a batch or fly sparge and creating a grainbed then afterwards pulling the bag before returning wort to kettle.

To make this more complex, do you think this grainbed could be created ontop of a cake rack within an ebiab? (cake racks are often used in biab to prevent bag scorching)

I understand that since you are using the buckets, your not just using one vessel anymore, and that this is just wrecking the simplicity of biab..

But I was just wondering if its reasonable or possible.

If i am planning to reuse my yeast slurry, then I would prefer clear wort and not have all the biab junk mixed in the bottom of the fermenter.

My interest in this topic isnt to compare the two, but more to try fly or batch sparging in a biab kettle.

>.If i am planning to reuse my yeast slurry, then I would prefer clear wort and not have all the biab junk mixed in the bottom of the fermenter.

If you harvest yeast, most of the Trub is not live yeast, its coagulated proteins, dead yeast, hops residue, and other stuff. You will have to wash it in any case.

>>My interest in this topic isnt to compare the two, but more to try fly or batch sparging in a biab kettle.

It sounds like you want to filter some of the fine grains (flour) out of your wort. It will end up in the Trub and not affect your beer clarity or taste.
Any you can harvest yeast from the "dirty" trub, just the same as from "clean" trub.

>.Do you really want ultra clear wort or is the real goal to have clear beer?

+1

I BIAB, would it not be more beneficial, to do a BIAB no spagrge, and drain the wort out of the kettle, to another kettle and just boil, rather than transfer out and back in again, which would take more time, I understand the BIAB process to be somewhat of a time saving factor, on top of less clutter and ease of brew day.

The pro guys in my country, say if you want clear beer, one of the big keys is clear wort before boil, along with fpH levels, don't forget you kettle finings and obviously a cold break, cold crash etc.
Plenty to look at for ultra clear beer.

I have no problems with getting clear beer and using the normal biab method. I was just curious on how some of these alternatives would work. My current main goal is to reduce some the amount of trub in the fermenters.

I personally ferment in 6gal SS Pots, which is pretty tight for a 5.25ish5 gallons in the fermenter. If i can reduce the fermenter trub I would have a bit more room.

I have abandoned the idea of making a grain bed, but am now just create an extra gal or so per 15 gal batch and drain slowly to try to use the immersion chiller as a makeshift filter. (the trub tends to get stuck in it somewhat) I also want to try out some sort of U shaped 3 inch high diversion plate made with perforated steel sheet that would go in the kettle to help filter.

After I withdraw the 15 gal of wort I strain the left over wort and use for starters.

I dunno, Just some ideas.

OD13, 15 gallons of wort to make a 5 gallon batch. I am guessing your BK has a drain on it. How often do you check the gravity on your sparge water? If your beer is over sparged, it is likely to be tannic and bitter. I have very limited equipment, but my wort is quite clean when I go from the BK to the primary fermenter. I use Irish Moss as a clearing agent in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I cool the BK down into the 60's and the hot break/protein drops to the bottom of my BK. I don't have a BK with a valve on it yet, so I have to pour into the fermenter. I have purchased a two pack of 6 gallon paint strainers. ($5.00) I put the first one in a strainer that is over the fermenter, and pour until it almost doesn't flow due to catching the trub. I take that filter out and finish draining it into a pasta pot. I put the second filter on the strainer, and continue pouring the rest of the wort into the filter. My wort is almost clear with very little junk going into my fermenter. If I missed the point of this post please I apologize.

Latest posts

Back