Why not bill direct in to mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipster27

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like most people mill their grain in to a bucket then pour that in to their mash tun. Is there a reason for not milling direct in to your mash tun?

Some folks like to add the grain to the water (instead of water to grain). Milling over hot water probably wouldn't go well.

I mill directly into my mash tun.

Some folks like to add the grain to the water (instead of water to grain). Milling over hot water probably wouldn't go well.

I mill directly into my mash tun.

Yup, and I prefer to add grains to the hot water. Simple as that. Plus it's horribly inconvenient for some to mill over their setups.

All depends on your procedures. Personally, I like to preheat my mash tun (for more consistency in hitting my temps), that obviously doesn't work with the tun filled with grain.

I also usually add some water, add some grain, stir, add more water, add more grain, stir, do my grain additions at least two or three times. This helps me make sure there are no dough-balls.

So for me, I wouldn't want ALL the grain in there to start.

So for me, I wouldn't want ALL the grain in there to start.

Yup, everyone has a preference. I've mashed-in both ways and found either approach works just fine.

I find that small dough balls quickly disappear on their own within ~5 minutes of recirculating through a RIMS.

Back