Flaked/pearl barley interchangeable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Are these interchangeable? I know the pearl has been de-husked, then polished. Is the flaked barley de-husked as well? I believe the flaked has been cut and rolled. Do they both go into the mash as is?

Which is a...??

traditional technique for dealing with ungelatinized adjuncts. Cereal Mashing

Flaked grains are gelatinized (had their starches popped) in the flaking process, so they can go right into the mash. If the starch isn’t gelatinized the enzymes from the malt will not be able to break it down into sugars and dextrins.

Pearled barley must be gelatinized before mashing.

Flaked grains are cooked during the process. The pressures involved in making the flakes creates heat, which cooks each corn individually.

Pearled barley is processed to remove the husk and some of the bran - it's polished, or pearled. You still have to cook it to release the starches which the enzymes in the malted grain can convert.

Essentially, you cook it according to the directions on the package. The stuff I get, I boil gently for one hour, after which the steaming glop is added to the main mash. Don't forget to account for the fluid in your mash calculations.

Cheers!

Bob
Cheers,

Bob

Pearled barley is processed to remove the husk and some of the bran - it's polished, or pearled. You still have to cook it to release the starches which the enzymes in the malted grain can convert.

Essentially, you cook it according to the directions on the package. The stuff I get, I boil gently for one hour, after which the steaming glop is added to the main mash. Don't forget to account for the fluid in your mash calculations.

old thread, but how does some pearl barley taste in a beer?

Back