First IPA Recipe. Any Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattleheadKV2

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to this wonderful hobby, got 3 batches under my belt, all have been extract kits, from either Midwest, or Northern, and have come out fantastic. However I really want to delve into the whole recipe creation part of homebrewing. I've come up with what seems like a tasty IPA, but I'd like to get a little feedback on ingredients and hop schudule. anyway here's the recipe I've developed:

6 lbs. Gold LME
3 lbs. Gold DME (late boil)
8 oz. Carapils (steep)
8 oz. Caramel 20L (steep)

1 oz. Columbus - 60 min.
1 oz. Simcoe - 20 min.
.5 oz. Columbus - 15 min.
.5 oz. Simcoe - 10 min.
.5 oz. Columbus - 5 min.
.5 oz. Simcoe - 2 min.
Dryhop for 7 days with 1 oz. each of Columbus and Simcoe

Using White Labs WLP001 for yeast, with no starter.

Any feedback would be awesome, thanks.

I like the hop schedule; i might move the 20 minute one to 15 were it me, but no big deal. It seems a little heavy on the caramel though; keep in mind that your extracts will have some of that built in. I'd drop one of them, but I tend to prefer my ipas on the drier side too.

Note that with no starter, you should probably pitch two or three vials. What's your expected og?

og is is supposed to be 1.065 but i am reusing the yeast cake from a smaller pale ale. i may consider cutting some of the crystal down. thanks. woops wrong post, sorry

I like the recipe - I like crystal/caramel in my IPAs but it a matter of preference.

I would recommend doing a full boil if you can to get the most out of your hops. Also add the LME in the last 10 min - just add the DME at the beginning.

If you are going to get the WL001 make a starter this beer should have one - or just go with dry US-05 (it's the same strain).

Edit: if you are using the cake from a previous batch you should be OK

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was planning on pitching two vials since the OG is a bit higher than what I've done in the past (OG of 1.064 is the target). I may think about dropping the Carapils, but I do like a very sweet IPA, so perhaps I'll just have to brew two batches haha.

Carapils won't add sweetness like Cara 20 will. Carapils is primarily meant to aid head retention and add body. Most extract contains a % of carapils within the product. It's pretty much useless for extract brewers to add carapils on top of the extract. There are some exceptions however... for instance, Muntons Carapils (now called Caramalt) is 12-14 L, which makes it more like Cara 10-15 L and nothing like Briess Carapils.

A very sweet IPA would suck IMO, but if you wanted to get that done, you would need it to finish above 1.020 FG and/or use about 10% or more crystal and/or under-bitter with your early hops. Making a yeast starter wouldn't be as important with the goal of making a very sweet IPA at 1.064 FG since you're not concerned with attenuation that much.

I know some might disagree, but as an extract/partial mash brewer myself, I would recommend mashing the the carapils with an equivalent amount of some 2-row base malt grains for starch conversion from the carapils. It's not much more trouble than steeping, and will also give some complexity to your base malt taste. I just brewed a kind-of-similar-recipe to yours up there, and had fantastic results. I have switched almost exclusively to DME for my process - because I get better results, but obviously that is personal preference. I think your C-20 additions are just fine and shouldn't be overwhelming at all.

I'd also double your dry hops and do it for 14 days. But again, that's just my own preference. It looks like a nice beer.

Back