New Brew =)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
Started a new brew tonight with a pre-hopped can of Cooper's Lager, 1.5lbs of Breiss Golden Light DME, 5oz of corn sugar, and an extra .5oz of Cascade hops. I dissolved my can of Cooper's into the boil and hopped the malt with additional Cascades for 30 mins (to possibly freshen the aroma of it being a canned kit), then added the 1.5lbs of DME and 5oz of corn sugar (to boost the ABV% just a little). I cooled the wort and filled the fermenter to 5 gallons, hitting an OG around 1.041. This should turn out like a Continental Lager with close to 30 OBUs I think. Just something light and slightly hoppy.

You shouldn't boil pre-hopped cans like cooper's. It drives off hop profile first,than messes with the malt flavors & will darken/caramelize. You should've used the Breisse in the boil.

You're welcome. Actually,I think that was one of my 1st questions when I got the cooper's OS lager kit with my micro brew kit. I went to the cooper's forums & asked,since I wanted to do as much as I could in the BK. Easier to chill down to pitch temp that way.

Today was day #8 in primary so I'll open her up and get my FG reading tomorrow and transfer to a carboy for a week or two I think. I probably don't need to secondary but I need an excuse to use my new carboy =)

It'd be better to leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks. Let it reach a stable FG 1st. I don't secondary unless I'm oaking the batch,or adding fruit,etc. Less beer loss from transfer,& less chance of oxidation.
Transferring to soon can give a high FG due to fermentation not being done yet,& more trub transfer from what's still in suspension.

Never got back to updating on this one. I finally got her into the carboy and let it secondary until May 8th!! It's been bottle conditioning since then. So that was a total of six months of fermenting and secondary and then now about two and half months of bottle conditioning. Anyone think that was waaaaay too long to let the brew rest?

I'm going to chill a few and do some filming of opening one of these up. Fingers crossed to dodge an epic fail...

Yes. 1-2 weeks of fermenting (check for FG). No secondary needed on that type of beer 1-2 weeks of carbing. It may be drinkable, but i cant imagine it has much hop flavor. Does it? Oh well, try again.

1 or 2 weeks of carbing/conditioning is no where near enough. $ weks works out better ime. And at least 5-7 days fridge time for co2 to get into solution & any chill haze to settle. It'll be interesting to see how it is.

Back