Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEMc

Reaction score
Here is the recipe as I have planned it:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001/WLP007
Yeast Starter: NO
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 4.4 SRM
Efficiency: 75%
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 70F

Ingredients:
9.0 lbs Maris Otter

0.75 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 90min
1.0 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 20 min
1.0 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 0 min

1 tsp Whirloc (10 min)

1 ea WLP001/WLP007

Mash at 154F (medium body) (maybe lower for better attenuation)

SMaSH is pretty straight forward, and I'm sure this combo has been done numerous times, so any advice is welcomed. The only thing I could imagine being off is IBUs, not really sure what to put em at, seems like where they are should be good, though I don't want them too high as I am making this batch mostly to build up a yeast cake for a double black IPA (Stone SSR clone). I may dry hop if the urge strikes me. I am going for an easy drinkin/refreshing beer. So... any thoughts/advice for my first SMaSH?

Looks mighty tasty mate!
I'd be tempted to move that 20min addition a bit later for more aroma & flavor.
Like:
1oz @ 10min
1oz @ 0min
You'd have to increase your bittering addition slightly.
Other than that, looks good!

Cheers, Jim

1 ea WLP001/WLP007

Blending yeast?:fro:

Re: IBUs, it looks like you aren't using Rager formula -- using Rager, I get 40 IBU! Also, I tend to percieve more bitterness in dry, small beers, so I'd probably back off quite a bit to target a more lawnmowerish thing.

I need to do another batch of a Broken Halo approximation to remind myself how awesome Cascade can be....

Ironically I just did a MO/Cascade Smash yesterday. Almost your exact same recipe except I used Safale US-05. I do plan to dry hop a little as well.

I did a 2Row/Cascade Smash a few months back along the exact same lines, and it turned out to be one of my favorite beers to date.

Looking forward to seeing the difference MO makes.

SMaSH brews are some of my favorites as well. MO will give "a little more" to the flavor profile but it's mostly a "richer" or "fuller" note to my taste.

It's fun to make such drinkable beer for what, $11 to $12 dollars a 5G batch, isn't it?

I had decided against 2row because of some stuff i read on here suggesting it might be a bit too light by itself, might have to give it a try.
On IBU's; I used beersmith. I might back off to half an oz for bittering at 90 since I'm not going for a bitter beer; save some hops. And I'm not blending yeast, though that could be interesting, I'm just undecided on which yeast. The decision has more to do with the beer I will put on the cake than this beer. (SSR Clone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/stone-xi-anniversary-clone-51521/)

At my LHBS prices it's closer to 15-20, but yeah, still really cheap, especially when buying bulk hops off a vendor here.

At my LHBS prices it's closer to 15-20, but yeah, still really cheap, especially when buying bulk hops off a vendor here.

I use MO as my base grain for pretty much everything, so buying in 25kg sacks is the way to go. Same with buying hops in 1lb packs. Add some packets of SafAle dry yeast and you're ready to brew at the drop of a hat.

:D

I had decided against 2row because of some stuff i read on here suggesting it might be a bit too light by itself, might have to give it a try.
On IBU's; I used beersmith. I might back off to half an oz for bittering at 90 since I'm not going for a bitter beer; save some hops. And I'm not blending yeast, though that could be interesting, I'm just undecided on which yeast. The decision has more to do with the beer I will put on the cake than this beer. (SSR Clone: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/stone-xi-anniversary-clone-51521/)

Seems like I may have used 10lbs of 2 Row instead of 9. Had a good malty flavor, not too light. I dry hopped with 2oz of Cascade on top of the bittering/aroma. It came out being a very refreshing beer with a nice citrus aroma and flavor.
It reminded me of Widmer's Drifter Pale Ale, though different hops etc. It didn't last long. I saved a few bottles and had some recently and the flavor profile mellowed some. Less hoppy, more malty.

Here's the one I brewed over 3 months ago. Enjoying it on tap right now!

SMaSH Cascade
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Rob
Date: 12/28/09

Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 84.0%
Attenuation: 79.0%
Calories: 165.57 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 5.0 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.19% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 34.7 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10.0 lb Maris Otter Pale
1.0 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.7

you might lower the mash temp for a lighter bodied beer if you want it to be 'refreshing'. Marris Otter is a pretty bold, malty grain. it tends to not attenuate at higher temps, leaving a heavier bodied beer. i might try a 151 F mash. 154 F would probably leave you with something close to an ESB or an English Ale, which is usually heavier in body.

SMaSH Cascade
10-A American Pale Ale

Ingredients:
10.0 lb Maris Otter Pale

why didn't you include the mash temp? does BeerTools Pro 1.5.7 not leave a space for that? just wondering.

Made this up yesterday as follows:

9.0 lbs Maris Otter

0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 90min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 20 min
0.5 oz Cascade (7.5%) – 0 min (Whirlpool)

1 tsp Whirloc (10 min)

1 ea WLP007

Mash at 150F for 90 min.

The low temp and long rest should hopefully make it attenuate pretty low. I also got my best efficiency yet (~86%) for an OG of 1.054

Did this again, replaced the Cascade with Simcoe and used wlp001 instead of wlp007. Came out better then the cascade version imho, mostly because of the different hop flavor. I made that batch as the "yeast starter" for a pliney clone (jamil's recipe in brewing classic styles), still aging the pliney.

Made an IPA version of this and it came out awesome! I used the following ingredients and did a single infusion mash at 152 for 60 min. It ended up finishing at 1.012 from 1.071. Even though it sounds dry, the Maris Otter provides enough of a backbone to balance the beer. :mug:

------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 100.0 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.40%] (90 min) (FWH) Hops 45.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (15 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

SMaSH Cascade
10-A American Pale Ale

Ingredients:
10.0 lb Maris Otter Pale

I brewed a version of this yesterday. I mashed at 149 for about 70 minutes and FWH the 60 min addition. Pitched US-05 and steady fermentation within hours in my 60F basement. OG 1.048

I'm pretty excited, I love simple ales. Thinking of dryhopping this one as well...This was my first of many SMaSH brews!

How did yours turn out? :mug:

I did my first SMaSH with maris otter / cascade, currently in primary. I did a 1G setup, assuming like 5% AA for cascade although I have no idea since they're home grown whole flowers :)

1 gallon all grain batch

OG: 1.081

3lb 12oz Maris Otter
.6oz Cascade (60min)
.4oz Cascade (30min)
.2oz Cascade (15min)
.2oz Cascade (10min)
.2oz Cascade (5min)
.2oz Cascade (1min)
.4oz Cascade (5-day Dry Hop) - unsure if doing this yet.
~90IBU

I've got a glutton of cascade hops right now and since I do weekly 1 gallon brews, I'm experimenting with lots of late-addition hops.

used Munton's Premium Gold Yeast. It fermented like a champ and is now winding down. I'm excited to see what it tastes like after everyone else here has had such good things to say about it.

BUT if you guys had cascade at 7%+ AA, I'm wondering if I may have been a bit too liberal with the additions? Who knows what'll happens... :ban:

I love the idea of SMaSH brews. I just did one with 10 pounds of MO mashed in the low 150s for an hour, and 3 oz of Cascade.

It fermented down to 1.008 after just two weeks. Needless to say this is a very dry, hoppy beer. It's delicious now, but I'm thinking it'll be AWESOME in a few more weeks once the cascades mellow out a bit.

Thanks for the idea :mug:

What would the difference be if you substituted Munich for the M.O. ? I am guessing a slightly maltier finish, and perhaps darker

Yup. Munich is more bread-crusty, MO is more crackery. Munich is usually around 7ºL and MO is typically 3-4ºL.

I brewed this about 7 weeks back. I did 90 IBUs and dry hopped the **** out of it.

It's so funky. It's like buttery with pineapple minus the sweet smell. It's literally the first beer where I can't identify what the flavor profile is with words. My friend tried it, his response was the same.

This was the first time I've experienced the evolution of a beer. 2 weeks after bottling, it had no smell and tasted like nothing. 8.1%, alcohol burned on the way down.

2 weeks later, it smells something fierce with a tart, almost creamy body taste to it. No burn whatsoever, and almost too much with the body because there is literally zero bitterness to it. I don't get the no bitterness with 90IBU other than the fact that the cascade hops must literally provide almost no bitterness.

Either way, this turned from a "i want to throw it out" to "wow this is enjoyable and complex".

Just brewed up a SMASH MO/Cascade:

10 lbs. MO

1 oz FWH Casacade (9.1%)
0.50 oz @ 20
0.86 oz Dry Hop

~40 IBUs
Mashed @ 152 for 60 mins

I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

After reading this thread I am very excited about my most recent brew which is getting bottled this Friday:

Home Brew Batch #4: SMaSH IPA
-10.0 lbs Briess Pale Ale Malt
-1.0oz Cascade Hops (60 mins)
-1.0oz Cascade Hops (15 Minutes)
-1.0oz Cascade Hops (10 Minutes)
-1.0oz Cascade Hops (Dry Hop in Primary, days 7-14)
-0.5 Whirlfloc Tabs (10 Minutes)
-1 packet dry yeast, Nottingham

-OG = 1.046

I didn't take a FG yet, but fermentation went smoothly so I have high hopes. It is also my first time dryhopping...so excited! :D

Update:

Just tapped this, it was brewed on 2/22/12 so that is 19 days. I dry hopped with an ounce of cascade (muslin sack wedged between my dip tube and keg wall) for 8 days. Definitely a bit young, but tastes great, burping flowers! Final gravity was 1.010, that's 80% attenuation from some 3rd gen pacman :ban:

Ive got some Cascade growing right now and I though a great way to focus on them in a beer would be to do a smash with them. How would it come out if I used munich instead?

Currently enjoying a Vienna/Cascade SMaSH ..used Nottingham..if anything, this exercise tunes you in to the ingredients...(Vienna vs. Munich etc)

Dry hops are going in tonight for a MO/Citra SMaSH. 10lbs of the former and 4oz of the latter. Can't wait to get this one in bottles.

Latest posts

Back