Is a 6-7.5 amp reciprocating saw strong enough to cut the top of a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's a power vs time thing. With the right blade, you could cut the top off a keg by hand - it would just take a long time. Those will cut through, you just need the right blade, and some patience.

Got an air compressor? Get the harbor freight 3" air cutoff tool. Worked great on my two kegs.

I just used the angle grinder for all three my kegs. I used a cut off disk to make a octagon and then I used a flap wheel to grind it into a circle. Took maybe 30 minutes start to finish.

It will be much harder with that kind of saw than a cutoff wheel. It should only take a few minutes with the cutoff disc. I have cut at least 8 kegs with a 3" air powered harbor freight cutter. Use the thinnest disc. I can cut one keg top using only one disc($1.00)I have a small compressor and had to wait longer for the compessor to keep filling than it took to cut. I would say it took about 20 passes.

Back