Taking a gravity reading with fruit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
Started a starter last Friday morning. 1 pound of honey, half gallon of water, two packages of Nottingham yeast. It took off bubbling within an hour. Saturday (my 29th birthday) midday I put together the must. 11 pounds of honey, fresh water plus the starter to just over 3 gallons total. Then I added 3 pounds fresh pureed peaches. 1.5 pounds of fresh pureed kiwi, 1.5 pounds strawberries, and 4 pounds of store bought frozen (thawed) raspberries. Also threw in a good bit of rasins, two cinnamon sticks, a proper amount of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. My goal is to get a good 3 gallons into secondary after a couple of weeks for a relatively low (10% or so tolerance from the Nottingham) abv very sweet mead for my 30th birthday.

I didn't take an OG reading as we were already drinking while preparing the must. I'm not so concerned with final abv but I would like to be able to check gravity to make sure it doesn't get stuck.

I have not opened the fermenter yet but I assuming I still have floating fruit. So I'm assuming I need to pull a sample with a wine thief to get a reading. Is this correct?

Also: Does anyone see a big problem with this recipe?

Sidenote: Does anyone know where to get a badass goblet? I'm thinking pewter maybe and I like less detail (no dragon s or unicorns)

Thanks

As some of the fruit was pureed, I got the best sample I could after a few attempts. Gravity reading is 1.072. I gave it a good stir, put the lid back on and its back to bubbling through the air lock. The fruit smell coming off this must is amazing. It gonna be very hard to let this one age a year.

How fast should gravity fall?

Forgetting to take an OG, I understand most of this is guessing at this point but... On Wednesday I took a gravity reading of 1.072 and today I took another one at 1.060.... does this seem to be in a normal range?

Also assuming a healthy fermentation, can this 12 point drop over 3 days be at all useful to guess at the OG?

Back