Promash Errors in SG Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that has noticed significant errors in how ProMash calculates the SG. I just recently started creating my own recipes, so my knowledge of how much pppg each malt contributes was severely limited.

I brewed 5 gallons of brown ale last night and in my promash recipe I had only 5lbs of DME at 46 pppg and some steeping grains. However, promash predicted a SG of almost 1.057. After brewing I took a hydro sample and it was at 1.042 (had a bit more than 5 gallons, so near enough the 44-46 pppg standard.

I'm wondering why Promash was so far off in their SG prediction. I guess at least now I will have a session brown ale....:/

FYI, I put the same recipe in BeerSmith and got the correct OG prediction. Weird...

I brewed 5 gallons of brown ale last night and in my promash recipe I had only 5lbs of DME at 46 pppg and some steeping grains. However, promash predicted a SG of almost 1.057. After brewing I took a hydro sample and it was at 1.042 (had a bit more than 5 gallons, so near enough the 44-46 pppg standard.

My Pro Mash predicted 1.046 for a 5 gallon batch, 1.042 for 5.5 gallon.
Check your system settings.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

If you entered your steeping grains in the recipe along with the DME, then the SG prediction will increase accordingly.

I use promash, and it has been telling me my eff is 57%...OK. Las 4 batches have been coming in arount that number.

So I asked promash to scale up the ingredients for the Ed Wort's HPA recipe, assuming 57% mash eff. (I called it HPA 57)..Pro Mash predicted 1052..My gravity was 1054 - it was like magic.

I can live with 57% eff, as long as my results are as consistent with what Pro Mash reports. Glad I am not trying to do this scaling manually.

I wish there were updates to Promash..

Back