measuring yeast for re-pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I've been on Mr Malty and found the exact amount of yeast in ml i need to pitch. what is the best way to measure this? If I need 15ml can i just weigh out 15g? would this be accurate enough?

Use a measuring cup, an empty 1 liter soda bottle, or anything else to measure the volume. Just eyeball it.

It sounds like you have dried yeast. Is that why you're asking about using 15 grams? 15ml of slurry is about what you would use to make a starter.

I've re-yeasted my beers many times. You can use any strain of yeast you like. It's only there to ferment the priming sugar. Use about 1/2 pkg.(6 grams) of rehydrated dry yeast at bottling time for good results.

I guess what I'm driving at is: weighing out the yeast seems the easiest and most precise method to me. 1ml of water is 1g. Is it reasonable to assume 1ml of yeast also 1g or close enough for homebrew purposes?

Anybody else weigh out their yeast or am i just being anal?

15ml of yeast slurry? What are you making, a 1 gallon batch?

For a typical gravity beer, you need around 50-80ml of slurry to pitch. 15ml sounds really low.

If yeast sink in water, then they are more dense than water, and thus heavier. So no, 1ml of water and 1ml of yeast do not weigh the same. By attempting to weigh something that was given in volume is a bit anal yes, considering how freaking easy it is to measure something in a graduated cylinder.

:p

15ml of yeast slurry? What are you making, a 1 gallon batch?

For a typical gravity beer, you need around 50-80ml of slurry to pitch. 15ml sounds really low.

Yes, sorry i should have said that was for a 1 gallon batch. But it was just an example.

If yeast sink in water, then they are more dense than water, and thus heavier. So no, 1ml of water and 1ml of yeast do not weigh the same. By attempting to weigh something that was given in volume is a bit anal yes, considering how freaking easy it is to measure something in a graduated cylinder.

Technically, you are correct. But the density of water is 1.0003 kg/L. The density of yeast is 1.1 kg/L. For pitching into the quantity that homebrewers typically make, weighing the yeast assuming 1 g = 1 mL would be ok. If you have a precise enough scale, weigh out 1.1 g = 1 mL.

Back