Lime soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo

Reaction score
This is my second attempt on a lime soda and in soda making and it turned out pretty good, so here's the recipe:
4.5 gals water
1 gal corn syrup
1lb malt dextrin powder
fresh juice from a dozen limes
fresh zest from a dozen limes

Boil water + syrup + dextrin for 20min, add juice and zest on last 5min. Zest in a muslin bag.
Cooled to 80F, in a keg and into fridge. Carbodate at 60psi for couple of days. Dispensed at 15psi.

I brew root beer but after looking at this recipe and my love for lemon and lime, I may need to make this myself and try it out. Thanks for posting this.

I don't get why both the dextrin powder and corn syrup?

I did a similar soda a long time ago when I first set up my kegerator. The problem that I ran into is that some of the zest got loose in the keg, so the first or second pint I pulled of it, some zest got into the dip tube and clogged it up. Next time I will be more careful about that.

I don't get why both the dextrin powder and corn syrup?

I did a similar soda a long time ago when I first set up my kegerator. The problem that I ran into is that some of the zest got loose in the keg, so the first or second pint I pulled of it, some zest got into the dip tube and clogged it up. Next time I will be more careful about that.

The dextrin is for adding body to the soda. It doesn't add any sweetness.
I corrected the water amount to 4.5gals. After 20min of boil I ended up with about 5gals of soda.

Dextrin is a starch... Dextrose is a simple sugar...

Just a suggestion on the zest. Use a paring knife or a vegetable peeler instead of a grater.

One thing that I may try adding next time is some citric acid to get an extra kick. Perhaps some green/yellow coloring mix also for appearance.

Back