alternate uses for your grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to make some fresh ground corn meal. Do you think my Barley Crusher can handle dry corn or would it suffer ill effects from the larger hard corn?

I think you want a corn grinder of a burr mill like a corona mill, not a roller mill. I would be very surprised if a BC roller mill could make corn meal.

Go ahead, give it a shot, just make sure to video record the carnage and post it on here for our entertainment.

Just wanted to see what the consensus was. I was assuming that if a corona mill could handle corn, why not a real mill.
Guess that is why it is called Barley Crusher ;-)

no one has tried this?

A corona mill is designed for making corn meal, a mill is designed to crack hulls not pulverize. When people use a corona mill for grain the put a spacer in it to widen the gap.

I crush corn in mine, for Cream of Three Crops. I use corn and run through at a wider gap, I'm not trying to make flour or grits just break the kernels down. My mill motor has 150 in.lbs of torque though:D

Even though the mill has a lifetime warranty , I am worried about damaging the mill.
What kind of mill do you have, beaksnbeer? Maybe running it thru 2-3 times would do it.

JSP malt mill fully adjustable

image-573398825.jpg

image-3417218619.jpg

Back