Defective Vinator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 79142

Reaction score
I just jumped on the Vinator bandwagon, but after assembling today, I noticed a lot of what I think is atypical splashing coming out of it. When I press the bottle down on the applicator, it sprays the liquid into the bottle, but when I lift the bottle off and the injector returns to its resting position, a fair amount of liquid squirts out of the base of the injector, with some of it splashing outside of the reservoir and onto my counter. This does not seem to be apparent in any of the videos that I've seen.

I've taken the thing apart several times and have adjusted the amount of liquid without success. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any suggestions for fixing this?

Hi bembury,
I notice the same with my vinartor, no splash onto the counter though. I kind of hold the bottle for a couple seconds to let the water run out, that keeps the splash down. Im bottling this weekend. Ill pay closer attention and report back.

Did you make sure the red base inside the bowl is snapped down securely? There are 3 tabs that fit into corresponding slots in the bowl. Check that.
Mine wouldn't work at all,took it back,& he showed me that you can't just set the tabs in place,they have to be snapped down. Boy,did I feel like a clone. I fill mine up about half way,maybe a little less with star-san or PBW solution. No splashing.

Bottled earlier. I dont snap mine down w/ tabs above but fill with sanitizer about half way. I squirt like 3 times and let it run out. No major splashes. sanitizer does come out the base of the squirter but does not spray all over. Your may be defective.

When i first got mine i tried a test of it with just water and found that if i didnt have enough in it, it made a mess. Have you tried adding more sanitizer to it?

Am thinking some enterprising soul should write up a sticky with detailed instructions on how to put together a new vinator. I know I futzed with mine for a while before I got it together, and was sure it was defective until it all "clicked."

Plus, I found mine takes quite a few more pumps to get primed than the instructions suggest. But I still love it.

Yeah, I've adjusted the volume of water, but I can't seem to make it work without splashing. I think it must be defective.

I still say it's not snapped down somewhere if it's flowing/splashing out of the base. With all three tabs on mine now securely snapped down,no more flow out of the base. But I do have to jerk it several times to get it to squirt. Gotta prime the pump.

I take mine apart every time I'm done so it dries evenly. When I use it again, I sometimes have to take it apart and put it back together several times to get it to work, as it also does what you describe. I don't know if it's the spring configuration or the direction of the upper bearing thing.

I don't like how there's no collar to hold the spring on center. The ball bearing is acting like a check ball in an auto trans valve body. But all three tabs have to be snapped down securely for it to work properly. Some directions with those things would be nice,at least troubleshooting tips.

Back