Hoppy Wheat Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
I love wheat beers and especially Boulevard's 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat. I recently brewed Jamil' Evil Twin and love the idea of all late hop additions. How does the wheat recipe look below?

5 Gallon Batch - 60 Minute Boil
6 lbs 2 Row
1 lb flaked wheat
3 lbs white wheat

.5 oz amarillo 20 minutes
.5 oz centennial 20 minutes

Wyeast American Ale II

The wheats I have brewed in the past have been 50/50 wheat 2 row so I am trying to tone down the wheat flavor and get good hop flavor. Let me l ow your thoughts.

looks good to me. you got the base, the white wheat for the wheat flavor, the flaked wheat for the head retention and total wheat rounding, and the american hops and yeast for flavor. let me know when it's done. i'll bring some food :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just want to make sure I get good hop flavor. I use ibrewmaster and it measures IBUs of this recipe at

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I really want hop flavor to come through so I'm not sure if 21 IBUs is enough. I use ibrewmaster and that is what it measured for hops. Do you think it will have decent hop flavor?

Back