False Bottom help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdsferraro

Reaction score
I have bought Bayou Classic 1036 pots to move to all grain electric brewing. Now I need a false bottom. This is where I need your help or ideas. The only false bottom I can find is from NorCal. I like it, but can't pay the $100+ right now. They call for a 13 1/2 inch hinged false bottom. Anyone have any less expensive and still durable ideas?
Thanks,
Danny

you could also build a manifold that threads to your dip tube...copper if direct fired and CPVC if you are using recirculating indirect heat. No need to solder/glue as you want to take it apart for cleaning.

CPVC Manifold.jpg

Personally, the bazooka screen is foolproof, the false bottoms can be problematic and more money. I would vote for the bazooka screen. they do work well with fly sparges but less efficient than false bottoms, but negligible in my opinion for a 5 gal batch with a proper grain crush.

TD

So I was reading the 5th annual "Gadget Issue" of Zymurgy online (Vol 34, No 1, Jan/Feb 2011 issue) and the third home brewer DIY gadget was a false bottom. The brewer fashioned it from a standard "blossoming" SS vegetable strainer and some CPVC fittings to create a cheap domed false bottom. Your pot is larger than the 5 gal cool this was originally for but if you find a big enough colander it could work.

cheap FB1.jpg

I built a manifold from copper pipe and fittings that I had around, in my opinion that is not much work considering all of the other cleaning and sanitizing that we spend time doing. I have had no problems with stuck sparge, and I use a lot of wheat, but also hear of lots of people using bazooka with no prob. I think manifold or false bottom is the way to go if you are willing to either spend time or money, for me the time is easier to come up with.

I used a false bottom for years before I went electric. I now use a bazooka on my pot and love it. There's never an issue. And since you'll probably be recirculating your mash, you'll end up with the cleanest brew you can imagine.

I guess that was part of my question. Does the false bottom have to fit tight? Or can I put 12" domed in my pot. Its 13 1/2"?
Thanks for all the replies!
Danny
You can use a smaller false bottom, no problem.
Speaking from experience.
Or a bazooka. Done both.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go with a bazooka screen. is there certain height I should put the bazooka screen at ? Again thanks for all the help guys!

The bazooka is better with less height off the bottom. That said, you can only go so low due to the fittings on the side of the pot. Mine is 1/2" off the bottom and my yield is just fine.

Latest posts

Back