What size flex hose for natural gas banjos????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrowheadAles

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got natural gas ran from my basement out to my garage for my brew stand. I have 1/2 pipe on the brew stand with 3 banjo burners. The pipe coming in from the source is 1/2 as well. However, when I hooked it up the pressure was a little low. Could the size of my flex hose be the problem. Currently have a 1/2 inch on there. Would 5/8 solve this problem???

Thanks,
Mike

You may need a larger than 1/2" feed pipe from the source to be able to run all 3 burners. I believe 1/2" may only be adequate to run 1 burner at a time, but I will let others with more experience chime in.

I am also exploring using NG instead of propane, and from the discussions I've had, it seems like your lines may be undersized for a full 3 burner setup, if you plan on running more than 1 at a time.

Right, 1/2" bip might not be large enough depending on how far of a run, how many elbows, etc., for your btu draw. There's guides online that help with sizing, I think engineering toolbox is one. If it's the pipe that isn't large enough, going to a larger diameter hose isn't going to make much difference.

I'd be ripping a strip off the installer: if you informed him what you intended to use it for, and he just threw in 1/2" without even bothering to consult a sizing table.

Out of curiosity how many BTUs is each burner? Are they originally NG burners or were they propane burners that you purchased new orifices for?

They are propane banjos with a natural gas conversion valve from Williams brewing. Not sure how many btus they are. The flame isn't that bad but I could tell they aren't as powerful as my stand alone lp banjo burner.

That's understandable, NG provides less BTUs per cubic foot than propane, and it is also at house pressure (typically 7-14" WC (1/4 PSI)) whereas most of the propane burners run at far higher pressures.

Latest posts

Back