building my kegorator... drilling tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorvan

Reaction score
I just got the finishing touches of my kegorator in themail and will be building it this weekend. I'm using an old, kitchen fridge and i want to know what i should use to make the holes and whether or not it matter where i drill. Ive heard about people drilling into the side of the fridge and hitting something important. However i cant confirm if this is true or not. I always assumed thatall the guts were in back and on the bottom. Any help?... if its relevent, the fridge is a good 15 years old.

Yes it matters where you drill. No problem when you drill through the door, but it is another story iof you want to go through the side. My CO2 tank is on the outside. I just drilled through the metal on the wall and inserted a coat hanger to feel around for cooling lines. When I said drilled through, I mean barely through. You have to watch for the cooling lines that are in there. I noticed a guy made a spacer on his drill bit with wood to keep from goig too deep on youtube. Check it out, has good info on what you are tryig to do. His name was Don Osborn I believe.

You can also turn the fridge on and leave the door open, condensation will build up at the locations of the refrigerant lines.

step #1 line the inside with heavy plate steel.
Step #2 mount said Fridge on turn table
Step #3 Spin Turn Table
Step #4 Fire large caliber pistol at said fridge.
Step #5 remove fridge from turn table
Step #6 Remove plate steel lining
Step #7 Install gas lines and tap shanks
Step #7.1 if bullets punctured cooling lines proceed to step #7.2 if not proceed to step 8
Step #7.2 Buy new fridge
Step #8 enjoy!

or what they said ^

If you drill through the door you shouldn't have a problem. I just used a regular old drill and drill bit with no problem. Lesson learned was to mark off all the spout locations at the same time, otherwise they may end up crooked. Depending on the amount of kegs you plan to store in your fridge you may also want to install false bottom as well for flat storage space.

Back