Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first and only attempt at this was 5.1%. It was ok. I need to do it again and scale it for 85% eff.

made this back in Jan and gotta say when i tapped it in Feb I wasnt impressed. For my taste it was too hoppy for a small beer. Lo and behold I had a kegerator issue and ended up storing this away in my fermentation freezer and kinda forgot about it. Threw it back on tap this week and holy cow it is awesome. Crystal clear, so very smooth drinking. Going to have to get 10 more gallons ready for the summer camping schedule as this is one i think all the women will drink as well.

bucfanmike said:
made this back in Jan and gotta say when i tapped it in Feb I wasnt impressed. For my taste it was too hoppy for a small beer. Lo and behold I had a kegerator issue and ended up storing this away in my fermentation freezer and kinda forgot about it. Threw it back on tap this week and holy cow it is awesome. Crystal clear, so very smooth drinking. Going to have to get 10 more gallons ready for the summer camping schedule as this is one i think all the women will drink as well.

I had to wait about 4 weeks after I kegged it for my first batch. It was fantastic.Great summer beer. It is going on rotation.

HBrew71 said:
I had to wait about 4 weeks after I kegged it for my first batch. It was fantastic.Great summer beer. It is going on rotation.

All this waiting, it's hard to keep something on tap. Feels like I have to brew the same beer every other week just to keep it on tap :p

I just ordered the ingredients for my first all grain batch and inaugural brew on my new eHERMS system. I loved the partial mash version of this I brewed a few months ago.

I have a Wyeast 1056 and Nottingham on hand. I think I've read 1056 is a good yeast for this beer as its pretty similar to Notty, right?

I bought the Wyeast for a beer that never came together and it needs to be used, getting close to 6 months in the fridge.

EDIT: MrMalty says I'm at 10% viability and that I need 10 packs of yeast for a 1.5L starter.

How about 1 pack on the stir plate for about 16-18 hours?

jtkratzer said:
MrMalty says I'm at 10% viability and that I need 10 packs of yeast for a 1.5L starter.

I used months old washed yeast. First I made a 1L starter then from that a 2L starter. That produced more than enough cells.

24 hours on stir plate should do it. That's what I do. Never done less than that so couldn't tell you.

I'll be fine. It's a small beer and the packaging says best within 6 months. We're right at 6 months and it's getting stir plate time. Might be a bit under pitched for 10 gallons, but it will be fine. Maybe I'll pitch the 1056 in one fermenter and the Notty in the other.

jtkratzer said:
I'll be fine. It's a small beer and the packaging says best within 6 months. We're right at 6 months and it's getting stir plate time. Might be a bit under pitched for 10 gallons, but it will be fine. Maybe I'll pitch the 1056 in one fermenter and the Notty in the other.

I am sure you will be fine too. Enjoy the brew day.

I have a Wyeast 1056 and Nottingham on hand. I think I've read 1056 is a good yeast for this beer as its pretty similar to Notty, right?

I bought the Wyeast for a beer that never came together and it needs to be used, getting close to 6 months in the fridge.

EDIT: MrMalty says I'm at 10% viability and that I need 10 packs of yeast for a 1.5L starter.

I used have used Notty, but the last few times my pitch temp was 63 because my counterflow chiller I made was a little too efficient. The beer ended up coming out with way too many fruit esters! It was almost like it was a fruit beer. After some research I discovered that Notty doesn't like getting too cool and that ester production increases the cooler the ferment goes. My only advice with Notty is keep it at 68/69.

On another note Wyeast 1098 does a great job on this beer too! I will have to try Wyeast 1056 sometime and see how it turns out.

Pikeman94

pikeman94 said:
I used have used Notty, but the last few times my pitch temp was 63 because my counterflow chiller I made was a little too efficient. The beer ended up coming out with way too many fruit esters! It was almost like it was a fruit beer. After some research I discovered that Notty doesn't like getting too cool and that ester production increases the cooler the ferment goes. My only advice with Notty is keep it at 68/69.

On another note Wyeast 1098 does a great job on this beer too! I will have to try Wyeast 1056 sometime and see how it turns out.

Pikeman94

Can you be more specific on the fruit esters? Sounds like something my wife might like. I'm also working on finding some beers for my parents to keep on tap at their bar by their pool and that maybe something they'd like.

Thanks for the recipe! Brewed this today all-grain, and it went very smooth. Hit 1.040 OG, subbed golden promise for the base malt and 1764 Pacman. So it's a bit different, but I hope it's at least nearly as good as the original recipe.

Trying this using BIAB on Friday. Can't wait - sounds excellent. Been looking for that house session ale & hopefully this is it! Thanks for sharing!

jmd1971 said:
Trying this using BIAB on Friday. Can't wait - sounds excellent. Been looking for that house session ale & hopefully this is it! Thanks for sharing!

Keep updates on how your BIAB goes I'm planning on the same thing here once my fermenter is empty. You planning on a full boil BIAB or just partial?

Brewing this for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to serving this to my buddies who aren't craft beer drinkers.

Keep updates on how your BIAB goes I'm planning on the same thing here once my fermenter is empty. You planning on a full boil BIAB or just partial?

I do full boil BIAB's. Very simple, shortens the brew day & usually get comparable efficiency compared to a full mash/lauter system. I'm all for simplicity! ;)

jmd1971 said:
I do full boil BIAB's. Very simple, shortens the brew day & usually get comparable efficiency compared to a full mash/lauter system. I'm all for simplicity! ;)

Amen to that I'm the same way ... You sparge at all?

Update time:

Just brewed my 2nd batch & kegged it. Let it carb up for 1 week. I changed it up by using the original recipe's standard yeast which is called for............ Nottingham.

That's the only difference. :fro:

It's still very good. It's now a faster turn time. 3 weeks less before it's ready to drink.

But........................ I hate to say it................................. the Wyeast 1056 American Ale = a better beer. The trade off is 3 more weeks in the keg. But hey............. if time is not an issue................ The Centennial Blond with the Wyeast & 2L starter substituted is the best beer I've ever had. And I've had a few. ;)

Thanks BM! You are an ACE! :mug:

Slyko said:
Update time:

Just brewed my 2nd batch & kegged it. Let it carb up for 1 week. I changed it up by using the original recipe's standard yeast which is called for............ Nottingham.

That's the only difference. :fro:

It's still a very good. It's now a faster turn time. 3 weeks less before it's ready to drink.

But........................ I hate to say it................................. the Wyeast 1056 American Ale = a better beer. The trade off is 3 more weeks in the keg. Buy hey............. if time is not an issue................ The Centennial Blond with the Wyeast & 2L starter substituted is the best beer I've ever had. And I've had a few. ;)

Thanks BM! You are an ACE! :mug:

I just did ten gallons and pitched a starter of 1056 into half the batch and Notty in the other half. Fermented at the same temp, so we'll see how they compare.

Alright newbie question could this be ready to drink in two weeks or would the flavor not be right?

I would wait. I try to age all my beers at least 6 weeks from brew date. You can still drink it if you have to but I'd wait if you can.

I just did ten gallons and pitched a starter of 1056 into half the batch and Notty in the other half. Fermented at the same temp, so we'll see how they compare.

I am very interested in what you find.

I'm just a newbie to brewing so just something as little has a substitution of similiar yeasties could make such a difference. :drunk:

See post #1991. I did all-grain for both batches. 2L starter for 24 hours on a DIY stirplate & the yeast are my only changes!

Oh, and if you drink the Wyeast batch early, don't get freaked out if it tastes like soap! :D :rockin:

Thanks for the quick reply. Doing five gallons for my son birthday part in 17 days just wanted to make sure I could make it that time for a kegged batch.

Just brewed this recipe last monday and it fermented like a nut job for 3 days, on day 4 i took a gravity reading and its 1.008. I used rehydrated notty for the first time, is this normal for this yeast to chew threw the sugars that fast? also i have to say that the sample tasted pretty damn good. I dry hopped it with the the rest of the cascade/centennial left over from the brew (1/2 oz each) do you think this will be good or should drop another oz of centennial in the keg? anyways nice recipe BM!

We are making this tomorrow with our 55 gallon system. I'm substituting CTZ for the Centennial, and Centennial for the Cascade, but otherwise am not changing anything. I'll let ya know!

Thanks, brewed this today.
Have not brewed with this yeast before and did not hydrate. Have brewed with SA-05 before without hydrating and got great results. Think i'll have any issues? Cheers!

You'll get better results hydrating. Not hydrating will still work, but you kill a lot of yeast for no reason.

Starderup said:
You'll get better results hydrating. Not hydrating will still work, but you kill a lot of yeast for no reason.

I'd like to see proof of that. Danstar recommends rehydrating, Safale makers do not. There are probably reasons for that.

Latest posts

Back