Ginger Ale like thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew1d

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I tried brewing some Ginger Ale this evening. But really just winged it.

.8 of a pound of ginger root (mostly grated, some big pieces)
3 lemon zest (grated rind) and then squeezed for juice
Ginger.jpg

1 Fennel root. (Anise) Also grated.
Fennel.jpg

Splash of Vanilla
Vanilla.jpg

Cinnamon Stix
CinnamonStix.jpg

4lbs of Corn Sugar
CornSugar.jpg

Boiled 5 gallons of water, and around 170f added the ingredients. (Except added lemon juice in last 10 minutes.) Stirring occasionally.
Brewing.jpg

Santized all my stuff. Bottling bucket, carboy, thief, thermometer, funnel.

Mixed some sugar and water in a cup to proof the yeast. (Red Star Wine yeast)
ProofedYeast.jpg

After about 40-50 minutes of boiling, I started to spoon out stuff that floated to the top.
Spoon.jpg

I poured it all in my bottleing bucket, let it sit for like 5 minutes, but it didn't settle out much. I then put a screen in the funnel so it took out 95% of grated pulp.
filterinfunnel.jpg

Put it all in the carboy, took a reading, pitched the yeast, and put it in my brew closet.

Now the Gravity reading was 1030 at 100f. So I'm not expecting a high alcohol content. But I figure a "wait and see" attitude is probably best. Plus, the way I figure, if it tastes ok now, if I can just get another keg, I'd have it as a non-alcoholic soda. :ban:

I'm most curious as to how you went back to the late 80s to take all these photos...

But really, an interesting brew, I'm curious to hear how it tastes!

Why corn sugar?

I'm most curious as to how you went back to the late 80s to take all these photos...

But really, an interesting brew, I'm curious to hear how it tastes!

Why corn sugar?

Well, I raced my Deloreon up to 88 mph ........wait, I said to much already.

As for the corn sugar, it's what I had handy.

Tried it today, and although I won't call the taste "unpleasant" it's much too thin.

It has some alcohol, but the ginger dropped out, and it's more a "lemon pledge sprayed in a bucket of water."

I'd probably in the future, pull back on the anise and lemon, and go with 3 gallons of water.

Fun experiment I guess.

Back to the drawing board.

You could extract some ginger juice or brew a concentrated ginger tea and add it into the carboy for a stronger taste. What is the aproximate alcohol concetration that it has?

Back