False bottom problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
Anybody else have a problem with their false bottom collapsing? I'm mashing right now and I just had to pour the mash out, pop the false bottom back to normal and continue. I am using a 12" stainless false bottom in a keggle. It is the kind that is taller in the center and where the "crease" is collapses and lifts the edge up allowing grain to go right underneath it. Anyone have a fix for this? I was thinking that I may be able to turn it upside down but I'm not sure if it will be far enough away from the bottom of the keggle.

if it's one like this you can put a hoseclamp on the pickup tube so the mesh cant slide down.

2546819560101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

SuperiorBrew said:
if it's one like this you can put a hoseclamp on the pickup tube so the mesh cant slide down.

2546819560101759406S600x600Q85.jpg
The false bottom is the same but I have it connected with silicon hose. The problem is where it bends to taper down is bowing down and allowing the edge to lift, Also turning it upside down will not work it follows the contour of the keg to well. I am thinking of getting some stainless machine screws and building some vertical supports through a couple of holes

Movement is not the problem, the bend where it goes from flat to taper is getting pushed down(concave) and bowing the edge up allowing grain to go underneath it.

Buy four stainless carriage bolts four nuts and four acorn nuts. Double nut the bolts with a regular nut on the bottom side of the false bottom and acorn nuts on the top side. This will hold all your keggle will do

Terry

Back