False bottom and filter question >>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theBFG

Reaction score
So I just started AG recently and have converted a round 10 gallon cooler (one from home depot) into a mash tun. I have a ss false bottom connected to the spigot. The fb also came with a round filter. I can't seem to find a picture but, if needed, I can take one and post it when I get home. Essentially its a large round sponge.

My question is...where does this go? Above the fb? Is this even needed? I'd rather not use it as it looks like it'll be a pain to clean, but it would probably provide a much cleaner wort if I did use it. Thoughts? Thanks in advance -

:mug:

ETA: This is essentially the fb I am using:

http://www.brew-dudes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/stainless-false-bottom.jpg

Any thoughts from anyone? Bueller?

Anyone use a filter in addition to their false bottom?

I have a false bottom in a 10 gal round with a bazooka tube under the false bottom.

You definitely don't need any filter attachment to your false bottom in the mashtun. Maybe someone else knows about it, but I've never heard of any sort of filter coming with those false bottoms. you sure thats what it was?

You sure it isn't packing material?

What is it made out of? Stainless? Scotch Brite?

The grain bed is supposed to be the filter, I thought.

Ok, that is what I was thinking, which is why I was confused when my lbhs was telling me about it. I had always read it was the grain bed that was the filter, so I'm not sure why is was marketed as something that was necessary. It made things painfully slow on my first batch. It is made out of scotch brite material:

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/350/210584500.jpg

Pretty much indentical to this except mine is (was) white. I'm going to go ahead and leave it out next batch (tomorrow), I really don't see the need for it. Thanks for all the replies! :mug:

The grain bed acts as the main filter for course particles, but another finer filter is usually used, such as a SS braid. That spongey pad looks like a PITA.

I wonder if that is a rotary floor polisher pad. There was some discussion on HBT a year or two ago about this - apparently this was a common method in homebrewing some years ago to filter the wort from the MLT. I haven't been able to find the thread I remember, but I'm sure there are some people here who remember this technique.

EDIT: I found the thread!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/wtf-thing-mashpad-182801/

That's it! Thanks deafsmith!

Problem solved. It may just become a nice pad to put under my Carboy.

This gave me an idea. I've been looking for a way to reduce the headspace in my 10 gallon RubberMaid cooler MLT, so it will hold the heat better. I'm going to get one of these buffer pads, cut it to 13 inch diameter, make a handle out of a big cable tie, and wrap the pad in aluminum foil. Then I can stuff it into the top of the cooler above, but not touching the mash. This should stop convection currents in the air above the mash, and the alum. foil will reflect heat radiated from the top of the mash.

EDIT: Even better than wrapping it with aluminum foil, I'll use an oven bag (or maybe two) and close it with a cable tie.

Back