SS 1/2" NPT needle valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together an eBrewery (based on the BCS) with automated ball valves. However, I'd like to use needle valves on all 3 pump outlets to be able to precisely control flow rates, and I'm willing to make an exception for these 3 valves and allow them to be actual manual valves (though if there's an automatic valve that can be partially opened in dozens of positions by a BCS unit, I'd certainly consider it for the right price).

Problem is, I can't find a good source for such a valve, so I'm turning to the fine people of this here community to hopefully point me in some meaningful direction, hopefully at a reasonable price.

What say ye?

Well.. that's 1/4" and brass, but yeah - something like that. Those prices are actually really good, $40 for a stainless 1/2" needle valve is half to 1/3 of what the cost on Mcmaster would be.
That said, I've heard of people using gate valves on pump outlets and they were plenty happy. 1/2" brass gate valve at the hardware store would be much cheaper - just not as stainless steel blingy..

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. After you get used to ball valves, you can adjust your flow with small adjustments. My system has a 3qt gravity fed grant that the pump pulls from. I can adjust the flow on the output of the pump with ease to keep the levels even enough to walk away for 5-10 minutes. I always check it, but I rarely have to slow the mash tun down. More often than not I have slow down the pump because the grain bed begins to compact. YMMV

I used a ball valve followed by a gate valve for quick shut off and then dialing it in. $12 for the pair.

I just got one of these Pure-flo Sanitary Diaphragm valves from ITT on ebay for controlling my flow rate out of my mash into my kettle during sparging.I got a 1" valve and it fits on my 1-1/2" Triclamp ferules, it was like $35+ shipping, all the 1-1/2" valves where much more expensive. I have not had a chance to brew with it but I did test it out and it was very good at controlling my flow rate. With my ball valves the best I can do is get somewhere between 1.5-2L/min. With the Diaphragm valve I was able to get it down to less than 1L/min. The diaphragm is silicon, so it rated well above 212ºF.

I think with a needle valve you might have issues with husks clogging the valve.

Back