Keg cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
So I just purchased a keg kit from my lhbs and was wondering if you need to clean the CO2 line? I know I probably should, but how? Does it need to be sanitized prior to use?

You shouldn't have to, not much of anything can grow in a pure co2 environment.

I dipped mine in some PBW that was soaking in my new keg for an hour; I plan to dry it out, rinse it off, spray down with starsan, connect it, and then never worry about it again.

I agree with the first time cleaning - never know where it's been or what's inside when you first get it, but after you clean it for the first time, the CO2 will kill anything inside

The keg kit I bought has the hose preconected to the regulator to the point where I would have to destroy and replace connector that's holding the hose on. If I ran water down the hose and into the regulator would it hurt anything?

The keg kit I bought has the hose preconected to the regulator to the point where I would have to destroy and replace connector that's holding the hose on. If I ran water down the hose and into the regulator would it hurt anything?

Possibly, I'd just leave it. Don't want to risk liquid getting into the regulator. I'd say most of us never worry about cleaning the CO2 lines unless beer backs up in there.

And bigjason, I read the Andromeda Strain long before I saw the movie!

Back