Red Hook Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleChuck

Reaction score
Anyone give this a try?

I'm not really a fan of any Red Hook stuff, so I was a bit weary to pick this up for $4 something a bomber, but I was very pleased, and have since bought probably 10 bottles of the stuff. Being available at Plaid Pantry (OR & WA version of 7-11, basically) is a huge plus as well.

I did a comparison between this and Franziskaner's version, and honestly it's a toss up to me. The Franz is more complex, for sure, but the Red Hook has got the Franz beat in spice and clove flavors, which I really do enjoy. The Red Hook just seems to have a "larger" flavor overall, I'm not going to choose which one i prefer, but I'd say the RH is almost as good, if not as good, as the Franz.

I love Hacker Pschorr Dunkel Weisse, but sadly have not had it in about a month, and can only get it locally at a German pub (Gustav's, for anyone local, awesome food, and pretty good beer selection. Cheap 24oz steins too) so I have not done a direct comparison between the two.

I have not read too much about this stuff, a lot of the info I've seen is about a Dunkelweizen they had out like 10 years ago or something, not sure if it's the same.

Anyone else get a chance to taste this?

Bump from the grave. I had some to compare it to my own. The RH tasted a bit lighter and had more clove flavor. It was nice to be able to confirm mine tastes like it should. I also discovered that mine didn't suck, I just don't like the style much :)

Back