(Almost) all Vienna IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karle

Reaction score
I've been thinking about making an IPA. Haven't thought about the hops in detail, but will probably be Amarillo and Simcoe, about 60 IBUs with lots of aroma and plenty of dry hopping.

My question is whether 12 pounds of Vienna and 1.1 pounds CaraMunich I work out well in an IPA?

The yeast I was thinking of using is Wyeast 1272 American Ale II.

Does anybody have experience with using Vienna as base malt in IPAs? Thanks.

I've been thinking about making an IPA. Haven't thought about the hops in detail, but will probably be Amarillo and Simcoe, about 60 IBUs with lots of aroma and plenty of dry hopping.

My question is whether 12 pounds of Vienna and 1.1 pounds CaraMunich I work out well in an IPA?

The yeast I was thinking of using is Wyeast 1272 American Ale II.

Does anybody have experience with using Vienna as base malt in IPAs? Thanks.

Got a SMaSH in primary right now, Vienna & Centennial. Wish I could give you some advice on it, hopefully mine turns out good.

I did a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMASH last weekend as well.

I got 74% efficiency out of 10 lbs of Vienna. 3 oz (1 oz each 60/20/5) Northern Brewer. Nottingham yeast.

I'll let you know how it turns out, but it's still 3-4 weeks away!

I'm looking to do something like(7 gal):
9lb Pils
9lb Vienna
1lb Victory
1lb Munich

90 min Magnum
10 min cascade
5 min columbus
0 min amarillo

1 oz of each for dry hop
US-05
mash at 150

I'm not finding anyone who has done anything like this. the reason for the Pils is that I have 2 sacks to use up. Really, the only thing i would have to buy is the Victory.

Figured I would just help you pad your post count with unhelpful information. Bunch of EACs from the few people on here that actually know what's up. Kind of the reason I quit coming to this site. Thanks for the "help" guys. You wanna ***** about people not using search and then when they do this is what they get. LATER

BTW...Revvy, Thanks for all the knowledge. I hope things are going alright for you. Thanks to all those who contributed good info and research. My brewing has advanced tremendously.

Figured I would just help you pad your post count with unhelpful information. Bunch of EACs from the few people on here that actually know what's up. Kind of the reason I quit coming to this site. Thanks for the "help" guys. You wanna ***** about people not using search and then when they do this is what they get. LATER

BTW...Revvy, Thanks for all the knowledge. I hope things are going alright for you. Thanks to all those who contributed good info and research. My brewing has advanced tremendously.

UMMMM......I responded to the OP from '09 so I deleted my post.

If you'd like to know about your recipe, it looks fine for a lower og ale. I don't think I'd dry hop w/magnum, would probably eliminate the victory, and bump the pils and the vienna by a # each.

Really though, if you'd like help w/ a recipe, why not start a new thread rather than piggy-backing on a thread started in '09?.......not trying to be a d!ick, just a question.

Hope it turns out for you. :mug:

Oh, and what's an EAC? :p

Just recently floated a keg of Vienna/Nelson Sauvin SMaSH and it was great... go for it sounds like a winner.

Back