Bottling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin' Lion

Reaction score
What is possibly wrong with bottling wine in beer bottles and capping them as if they were beer? I ran out of wine bottles and had to use some beer bottles for the remainder of the wine.

Long term storage issues? I figure there is a reason wine is bottled with corks, but just wondering if capping is also acceptable.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7264&highlight=capping

Post #4 at the end refers to this.

Anyone else have comments?

There really is nothing wrong with bottling with beer bottles and caps! Of course, for long term storage, you know you want the traditional way of corking and keeping the cork moist and storing at cellar temps. But, if you're drinking it in a short time frame, I don't think you'd have any problems at all. Now, I can't define "a short time" for you but would guess 6 months to a year would be fine.

For my Welch's wine, I bottled and corked some, but used Grolsch bottles for others. It's a wine meant to be drunk young, so there were no problems. I think it's more of a aesthetics issue for young wines- something about displaying a gorgeous clear bottle of wine, uncorking, and then pouring that is such a treat for the winemaker! I have 375 ml wine bottles, 750s and 1.5 size bottles, so I've never used regular beer bottles but I know that people do it.

Thanks Loranae, I actually think this can be beneficial for me as most of my wine bottles never return. At least now I can stand to lose a few "beer" bottled wines and not worry about losing a nice frosted wine bottle (at 2.50/bottle) of whick I have 4 out of my original 12 :mad:.

Rule #1 when you give a bottle of wine away for free, they agree to bring back bottle. Rule #2 They dont bring it back, they never get another! There is nothing wrong with using your beer bottles, done it many times, take care

I'm certainly no expert but I don't see why you can't use beer bottles for wine. Like Lorena says, you may not want to keep them for a long time but 6 months to a year should be OK. The 12 Oz. bottles might be better anyway when you don't want to consume an entire 375 ml of wine.
It might be fun to give a bottle to a wine snob to see what they think. :ban:

Latest posts

Back