Identical to apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuglehaus

Reaction score
I had a friend come over and try the apfelwien, he made an off comment on how it tastes like Gewürtztraminer. We went out later and bought a bottle, and I'll be damned... 100% match, you couldn't tell the two apart.

Anyone else notice this? Or is my apfelwein really not acting correctly?

Thats interesting-I am going to have to do a "blind tasting" when my Apfell wine comes into its own. However, Gewurztraminer is a grape varity. Its not made from apples.

Seems like it would depend a lot on the Gewurztraminer; I've had a number of them that have clear pear flavors to me, and nothing of apple, while others have strong green apple overtones. Interesting comparison though.

Yeah, well, I'm not gonna lie here. I had never heard of the stuff. Until I wiki'd it after I posted, I assumed it was made from apple... It's a "sweeter" wine apparently..so maybe the FG's are inline? I have a poor tasting palate, so I'm curious to hear other opinions.

In case someone wants to pick apart the process:

5 gallon of Sam's Choice Apple Juice
4lbs honey
1 pkt ec-1118 (champagne yeast)

Ferment it out, cold crash on the lees, keg and serve.... Then ... well.. you know the rest ;)

I've never had a gewurztraminer that tasted like apfelwein. Not even close. Gewurztraminer (in my experience) is far more tart than apfelwein, doesn't taste like apples, and has quite a bit more body to it. Of course that doesn't preclude someone from producing a gewurz that does taste similar to apfelwein, I just don't see why they'd want to. Regards, GF.

Gewurz is one of the fruitiest of wines and is often made a bit sweet, but I can't imagine it tasting like something with that much honey. Gewurz sometimes has a bit of bubblegum taste.

I used to drink a lot of gewurztraminer back in the day and the first time I tried Apfelwein that is what came to mind. The yeast must be the same or something.

Being south of the border I can't, in my wildest dreams, equate the two....must be different ingredients or some such.
Gewurz is one of my favourites.
Apfel was, well, an interesting experiment.
FWIW, maybe my fantasy factors are lacking.

I'm up to 3 people now that find this the same. I gave my wife (we'll say an independent 3rd party who did not know what I was doing) a sip of the apfelwein from my glass (she liked it) and I asked if she wanted another drop (I then poured her some from the gewurtz bottle) she drank that and I asked her if she noticed anything different. She said nope, they tasted the same.... weird...weird... But alas...

Back