Barrel Jars??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could cut a hole in the cap big enough to fit a stopper. Put a small amount of silicone around the mouth, then screw the aluminum cap on that to seal it.

You'll have to re-seal it if you open it but doing a cider it should be a while before you have to open it again.

you can try to find an oring that fits or you can make a gasket of some sort.

You could cut a hole in the cap big enough to fit a stopper. Put a small amount of silicone around the mouth, then screw the aluminum cap on that to seal it.

You'll have to re-seal it if you open it but doing a cider it should be a while before you have to open it again.

I agree, a little "food grade" silicone on the threads and a hole and grommet in the lid for an airlock should work fine. :mug:

Thanks for the responses. My LHBS charges $35 for a 5-Gal carboy. I can get three of these for $33 with free shipping. Plus they will be a lot easier to maneuver and shelve in my apartment. I was thinking of somehow melting hot wax around the base of the lid but silicone might be easier if I don't like how the threads are seated.

Back