Dry Hopping Phenomena??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew2bm

Reaction score
My brother and I both brew AG, mostly in 3 gallon batches. This month, he brewed 6 gallons of Irish Red Ale, and split the batch between two 3-gallon carboys. His idea was to dry hop in both carboys, using a different variety and quantity in each. I have attached a picture of what the batch looks like eight days into the dry hop. The first half of the batch (left) had an addition of 1 oz of Fuggles leaf; the second half (right) had an addition of 3 oz Willamette (pellets). The Fuggles leaf batch is clear, while the Willamette pellet batch is couldy/hazy. Can someone provide input or an explanation as to why this phenomena has occurred?

Irish Red Dry Hop.jpg

The Fuggles are just laying there, totally intact, while the Willamette pellets turned into a bazillion fragments and are floating around in the beer.

Fwiw, crash-cooling the Willamette carboy will drop the hops fragments right to the bottom in a couple of days...

Cheers!

I love dry-hop pictures. Lookin' good.

Oh yeah, what day_trippr said. Right on.

Back