Yeast Activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralelen

Reaction score
I set this outside Saturday for a few hours trying to grab some wild yeast. Is this a sign of potential activity or bacteria?

55281771024c2b978150z.jpg

What was the temperature outside while collecting, and what is temp of the beer now? What does it smell like? You have fermentation of some type, no signs of mold yet, and yes there is bacteria. You're not going to get a pure yeast strain by luck, but bacteria is not bad, some lacto some sacc some brett it can all add up to interesting beer.

What was the temperature outside while collecting, and what is temp of the beer now? What does it smell like? You have fermentation of some type, no signs of mold yet, and yes there is bacteria. You're not going to get a pure yeast strain by luck, but bacteria is not bad, some lacto some sacc some brett it can all add up to interesting beer.

It was 45 or so when I set it out, and its about 70 in my kitchen. As for the smell, we'll have to wait until this head cold leaves.

Those would be good temps for yeast, I think you've got something going for sure! If you got any lacto in there it is probably hanging back at those temps, keep us updated on how it progresses and the smell after you get your senses back.

BTW, what is in the jar, just regular wort?

Those would be good temps for yeast, I think you've got something going for sure! If you got any lacto in there it is probably hanging back at those temps, keep us updated on how it progresses and the smell after you get your senses back.

BTW, what is in the jar, just regular wort?

50ml of DME @ 1.030. Hopped with a few pellets of EKG.

Latest posts

Back