help with sweet stout PM recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Hi, I want to work up a recipe for a sweet stout. I'm doing partial mash - and wouldn't mind using some ingredients that I already have...

I've got 8 lb of pale 2 row malt
1 lb of crystal malt
1 lb of pale DME
2 oz cascade hops

with that said the ingredients don't all have to be used.

suggestions?

yeah use some of your pale malt but your going to have to get some chocolate malt and black patent and some roasted barley..you can use all that malt but you need something to add the dark color and roasted taste

Yeah, I second what he said. For a sweet stout you can use that base malt and crystal with some chocolate, black patent and roasted barley. You can use an ounce or so of that cascade for a bittering hop addition (although with the current hop shortage I might save the cascade for something with more hop flavor). Sweet stouts also typically use some lactose for body and sweetness.

Look at my Dark Owl Stout in my pulldown and work backwards. I never did partial mashes so I'm not good at designing those recipes.
It's a great beer, like a blend of Mackesons and Beamish, not to sweet with just enough roast and coffee/chocolate flavors.

thanks for the replies. here's my first shot at it (modifying your recipe) comments please

#1 Sweet Stout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Dry - to be determined (considering Safale S-04 or nottingham)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days - 70-72 deg F

4 lb American Two-row Pale
1 lb Crystal
.75 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Chocolate
.5 lb cara-pils (for head retention)

3 lb Pale LME
1 lb Lactose

Hops

1/2 oz Chinook @ 60 min (boiling)
1/4 oz Chinook @ 5 min (aroma) <- is this a good idea? or no aroma hops, or different hop for aroma?

Mash at 154f for 60minutes
Add lactose near end of boil

You don't need aroma hops with a beer with that much flavor, they would get in the way IMHO. But it's your beer and if you like the flavor of chinook by all means try it.

Let me know how it turns out, as it is my most popular beer with my friends.

yeah, I was thinking that too. here's the updated recipe:

#1 Sweet Stout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Dry - to be determined (considering Safale S-04 or nottingham)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days - 70-72 deg F

4 lb American Two-row Pale
1 lb Crystal
.75 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Chocolate
.5 lb cara-pils (for head retention)

3 lb Pale LME
1 lb Lactose

Hops

1/2 oz Chinook @ 60 min (boiling)

Mash at 154f for 60minutes
Add lactose near end of boil

I just cracked the first of this batch last night. Not fully carbonated yet, but WOW, what an amazing beer. It's about 6 weeks old now, but may need another couple to fully age.

First impressions were that I was amazed at how good it was - chocolaty, sweet, coffee, just what you'd expect. I had it entirely too cold, and had to actually wait for it to warm a bit before I could fully appreciate it, probably best at cellar temps.

Next time, I think I'll kick the amount of sugar down a hair - it was a bit too sweet for my taste - or maybe it just needs to age a bit longer. We'll see where it's at in a week, when the carbonation has completely come in.

I'll post the final recipe later today, as it changed from the above a bit.

Back